2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No heat 97 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:16 PM
brinriha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No heat 97 Blazer

Ok first post. I need help.

I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer 146,000 miles.
4.3 LS trim.
Drain Dex cool out, flushed and replaced with green stuff.

OK I have hardly heat. I would flush the heater core but yesterday it was like -10 here in chicago.
All the spickets are frozen. My buddy told me to change the thermostat because my truck wasn't getting about 150 degrees or atleast that is what the guage on the dash read. My question is could this be a temp sensor??

Please help and thanks.
Brian

Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Beginning Member
Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: No heat 97 Blazer

Thermostat probably stuck open and needs replacing. After the vehicle warms up it should be at about 195 degrees which is what the correct thermostat is rated for. If it takes a long time to heat up then the thermostat isstuck open.Also make sure you got it full of coolant because if it isvery low it will not circulate through the heater coil good.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 PM

Ok I replaced the t-sat and now its the same heat.The temperature is still only reading 150. I am really stuck on this.I havebeen told it might be the temp sensor. I really don't know.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Beginning Member

If the heater is not getting hot ( 150 degrees) and you have the coolant at the proper level in the coolant recovery tank (plastic tank on fender) then the problem may be a worn out water pump. The fins on the pump impeller wear down with age. Have you ever replaced the pump ? If you squeeze off the top radiator hose with the engine running and warmed up, you should feel the coolant going through the hose. If you can't then I would wonder about the pump.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 PM

Hey thanks for helping. Yes the pump was done at GM I belive 2 years ago. If I squeeze on the radiator hose I can feel coolant moving. So what else to check for. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Beginning Member

Well brian, ( scratching my head ) you did mix the green stuff 50/50 with water, or 60/40 , right ? And filled the tank to the hot level with the engine warmed up?

Old 02-06-2007, 11:01 PM

50/50distilled water.
I can't think of anything else.
My question was could it possible be the temp sensor? I don't think so but you never know. I will have to wait until I can flush it out then. That sucks.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Beginning Member

I may be wrong,[sm=smiley13.gif] but it seems that even if the sensor is reading off, the engine and heater still should get to 195. The top hose should be hot enough that you can't hold it in your hand. The sensor dosen't control how hot the water gets. It just feeds info to the PCM to ajust the fuel ratio and such.[sm=helpout.gif] I'm stumped too. BRING ON THE PROS

Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point

With the engine up to temp and the heater on, feel the heater core hoses. If they are not about the same temp as the upper hose(thermostat open), then there is an obstruction. Most likely the core is plugged.

What was the reason for the flush? No Heat?

My Bravada's temp guagelooks to read low at operating temp, and my heater will roast you out.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
skoot is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the reason to replace the coolant with Prestone Antifreeze or the "green stuff" as you call itrather than Dexcool?

Quick Reply: No heat 97 Blazer