2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

no power past alt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
pguest44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default no power past alt.

The run down:
95 blazer s-10 multi port injection. It started as black exhaust, lack of power, ses light going off but not being able to read any codes, and finally ridiculous engine shake. I took apart egr valve and cleaned it, plenum cleaned it, new gaskets on both. I was going to go down to the rings thinking i had a blown one, but good ole papa told me it was a bad fuel air ratio-reason being for the black stuff out of exhaust. Now after putting everything back together I am experiencing this problem....

The I have no power to the truck i believe past the alt. New battery was due so after buying and installing nothing. I know there is power to atleast the alt because accidentally touched the pos and neg with a wrench, thinking I had the battery disconnected. Any thoughts...?

Ive been doing research on here and finding nothing, thought might be a MAF but my truck is not equipped with it...
Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I give up.. you seem to be describing two different problems except not..

Look at your battery cables. Two, probably three big wires going into the terminal.

Take off the positive. Find something heavy like a sledge, lay the pos terminal on the sledge head, smack the end where bare wires are inside with hammer.

Do same with neg.

Then trace each cable from there and check connections on the other end. If no headlights, turn em on and yank softly on cable to fuse block

Pretty common problem. And common for poor connections in the underhood fuse block, distribution.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the reply! I suppose my main problem is to get power to the truck period. I check fuses and checked the terminals, still nothing (and no head lights still). Ill try to smack the wires again and see if that gets it going again. I was wondering if the problem could lie somewhere into the starter? Is there a fuse that runs down to it that would interrupt electrical flow to everything? Im at a loss otherwise...the next thing I suppose I would do is start taking everything apart again and see if I missed something being plugged back in.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pguest44
Thanks for the reply! I suppose my main problem is to get power to the truck period. I check fuses and checked the terminals, still nothing (and no head lights still). Ill try to smack the wires again and see if that gets it going again. I was wondering if the problem could lie somewhere into the starter? Is there a fuse that runs down to it that would interrupt electrical flow to everything? Im at a loss otherwise...the next thing I suppose I would do is start taking everything apart again and see if I missed something being plugged back in.

Are you sure your battery is good?
Have a meter? check across batt terminals
Check from top of a large fuse in fuse block to neg battery terminal If you get voltage then you have a bad ground.
If you dont get reading then turn lights on and check hdlight fuse to pos batt terminal. Get reading? Find where the pos cable goes into fuse block

Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Alright will check on that tomorrow, cleaned up for the night. Ill let you know what comes of it. Thanks again

Old 10-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
trucktom is on a distinguished road

take the battery out and take the battery tray out too. underneth there is like a 120amp fuse in a junction block bolted to the radiator support, its a black stick with 2 holes, bolts over studs. if u follow the cable from the alt down under the batt youll find it. musta been a hell of a short out lol

Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM

So I looked at all of the wires that I touched/unplugged and took off the plenum and bolted all back together, still nothing. I will check under the battery tray tomorrow for that 120 amp fuse. (and yes it is a hell of a short!!!!) taking the battery to get checked tomorrow, even though brand new (yes I do understand sometimes they are bad). Hopefully it is that 120 fuse. I am just ready for this to be fixed, wifey will need it for the winter soon and it's taking up space in the garage that I need for other projects....Thanks again for the help!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

another idea, i had an issue with my cluster connector, the cluster tells your alternator to go ahead and and charge battery, mine wasnt doing that and i ended up buying a new alt and a battery over the deal. cluster really doesnt take that long to check, if i rember correctly on my blazer it was number four fuse, which then runs to cluster, then to alternator. pull the plug in wire to your alternator out(plug on back) and put a volt meter to it and see if its getting there at the wire, with truck running/on (as soon as your key is on you should get a 12v to alternator from truck ..(basically saying hey trucks on go ahead and charge! if not theres an issue with your cluster or your fuses possibly.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Ok, still having no luck with my problem. I've troubleshot everything I can think of, and finally ruled out that there is no secondary fuse block under the hood (so I wasn't crazy while I was looking and didn't find it). So still the only power that I have is from the battery to the alternator; no headlights, no dash, nothing. The only thing I can think of is a bad ground, but where? I've seen the few on the front by the battery, and one on the fire wall by the ac unit, anywhere else? I also replaced the fuse and fuse holder on the driver side distribution block (?) as it was worn down over time. Any help is greatly appreciated. It was running before I took apart the egr, and plenum for cleaning and new gaskets. It will snow here today and would like to get it geared up for the winter. Thanks all!