2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No Rear Windshield Wiper Switch '02 Xtreme?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road
Default No Rear Windshield Wiper Switch '02 Xtreme?

Hey guys, so I was fiddling around with my truck today in preparation of replacing my distributor (battery died and what not). I fired her up to put gas in and I cleaned the rear windshield wiper at the gas station because I don't have a rear wiper. So I made a quick trip to the store to finally get that wiper. I put it on and that's where I got stumped.

I went to go turn on the wiper to make sure it was all okay, but I couldn't find the switch/button to turn on the rear wiper. I turned on the regular windshield wiper in the off chance that it would turn on the rear. It didn't.

I don't have the owner's manual for it, so I looked on the web and downloaded the Blazer manual off of GMwarranties.com and it says that there is a switch to the right of the steering wheel. Well to the right of the steering wheel, there is only a switch to turn on and off the air bag that you use with a key. It also says that I am supposed to have a button to open up the rear hatch, which I also don't have, but that's besides the point.

I searched here and in the General chat, but found nothing similar to my problem.

So is there something I am missing? I for the life of me cannot figure out how to turn on the rear wiper. Kind of disappointing that I have a brand new wiper and can't even use it.

If you guys can help me out, that would be greatly appreciated. I hope that I'm just not that stupid and am completely spacing out as to how to turn it on. With my luck, it's probably just something simple and I am that dense.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Starting Member

Yeah, I looked for that. I do not see it anywhere whatsoever. Where I "think" it's supposed to be there is the on/off key switch for the Air Bag.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hhmm, can you post a pic of the upper dash between the steering wheel and the radio?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

you should have that panel

Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Starting Member

I will have to post one tomorrow. I am not at home and will not be until tomorrow afternoon.

@SpectreBlazer. I thought that's where it was supposed to be. But for me, that's where the switch for the Passenger Air Bag is located.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Banned

stupid question: is there a big gaping hole where its suppose to be?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Starting Member

The only big gaping hole is to the right of it, where my radio is supposed to be (it was stolen).

Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

this is an xtreme blazer.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Starting Member

They made Xtreme 4x4's?

Ok, here is what I got. The 4x4 button on top is just a closed off port, obviously, since I don't have a 4x4. It was drilled into and an LED was put in for the aftermarket alarm. Below it, where the wiper switch is supposed to be is where the air bag one is for mine. Besides that, it's exactly the same thing. However, I know for a fact that the switch is a dead one, ie: there are no connectors on the back of it.

My truck is a salvaged title and that's how it was when it was given to me. It doesn't have any airbags (airbag light is on in the dash). I thought that it was just disconnected after it got into the accident since it was no longer operational. Could it be that the previous owner just swapped that switch into there so as to not leave an open space?

But it fits so perfectly, which is what boggles me. It clips right into place and it has two little nipples at the top and the bottom that slight into ports on the dash.

Quick Reply: No Rear Windshield Wiper Switch '02 Xtreme?