2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No spark on cylinder #1 and #2

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Hoelgi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No spark on cylinder #1 and #2

I have a 95 Blazer 4x4 Motorcode W. I think it's a "between" OBD I and OBD II, it has the flat Distri-Cap.

Yesterday it started to run bad. When I accelerated it sounds like little backfires (a plop sound) and it reached 60mph very hardly. The Motorchecklight flashed a few times.

Back at home I found out, that the Cylinder #1 and #2 has no spark.

I changed the spark plug (the old one was gray to lite brown and dry) and interchanged some wires but it's still #1 and #2 with no spark.

Than I ckecked the distributercap with an multimeter and it is all right.

I dissassambled the crankshaftsensor and clean it, but it has no effect.

Any ideas? Can I flash out the motorcode by myself? The only shop for american cars we have here (in Germany) is closed until January the 2nd...

Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: No spark on cylinder #1 and #2

Almost sounds like the distributor cap isn't sitting down properly on the distributor to me... There should be nothing besides wires and plugs, which you've changed, that would affect things like this...

Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 AM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point

i suggest to clean or replace the crankshaft sensor , as im told thats where you get the pulse for it to spark.

awhile back i had a 93 Explorer 4x4 4.0l that while driving in the rain it got blocked from grease that dripped down the motor and my whole truck just shut off on me lol ... lemme tell you i was very upset to find that was the problem after i tore the whole motor down to the timing chain lol

Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Almost sounds like the distributor cap isn't sitting down properly on the distributor to me... There should be nothing besides wires and plugs, which you've changed, that would affect things like this...
I checked the cap a few times and it's sitting perfect...

i suggest to clean or replace the crankshaft sensor , as im told thats where you get the pulse for it to spark.
I cleaned it yesterday and I checked the sparks today direct after the ignition coil with a wire to ground. It sparks everytime and there were no pauses between the sparks, so the sensor gets the position of every cylinder.

It must have to do something with the distributor. I disassembled it today. The drive gear is a little worn out. I read in the S10 forum that this could cause timing problems. My next step is to get a new drive gear (not before January 3rd ).

Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM

i would just get a WHOLE new disty ... the one i got was only 73$ from autozone , i know your in Germany so online ordering is your best bet (unless there are Autozones near you???)

Old 12-30-2007, 01:50 PM

No there aren't autozones near me and in the other shops you get only euro and japanese parts. There are a few mailorder shops but a new distributer costs about 300 EUR (~440$) but a new gear "only 70EUR (~100$). So are there other reasons to buy an complete distributor? I think there is nothing else that could be broken or worn out, isn't it? I could order it in USA (shipping is 100$) but it would take 14 days and I need my car as soon as possible...

(By the way I ordered Bilstein shocks in the USA because they cost less then the half then they would cost here in Germany even though they were build 100km away from me...)

Old 12-30-2007, 01:59 PM

here is a link to the price (us$) .. im sure they could ship to you might cost a lil more then usual but then again i havent had to "order" from them online since i just drive up the street and there they are lol

Autozone Link

*Edit by swartlkk* - fixed long link

Old 12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoelgi Thats my exact Blazer!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 AM

@blzr: ??? Do you mean you have the same model/color/defects??

Old 01-01-2008, 10:15 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL.....model/color/DEFECTS........lets not call them defects on a 13 year-old truck...lolYou might want to check the distributor shaft bushings....or like mentioned above just get the entire new distrubutor. The bushings are not serviced seperately, and I have seen them wear out and cause this concern when the shaft starts getting sloppy.

Quick Reply: No spark on cylinder #1 and #2