2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No start after replacing intake gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Beginning Member
jack hammer is on a distinguished road

The most frustrating part is that the gauge that I borrowed from O'Reilly's doesn't work. I went to pressure up the fuel pump to check it again at the fuel filter just to make sure it was still working and as it pressured up it blew the rubber hose off that I had put on the filter to attach the gauge and the gauge never moved. Gas shot everywhere. At least I know I that I do have a problem either with the pump or
connection at the pump. I don't know if that's all of my problem still but I know I gotta fix that issue.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the pump is working right, it should build 73psi to 108psi.... lotta pressure... more than just a cheesy little hose clamp can hold! Gotta do some "creative plumbing".

Old 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Beginning Member

At this point I'm just going to change the fuel pump. Since it works sometimes and sometimes not and I had to beat on the bottom of the fuel tank to get the pump to engage I think that may be my problem. I don't like it when people are just part changers instead of troubleshooters but since it won't come on at all now I think it has to be the pump. Oriellys best brand is Delphi so I guess I'll go with that. Unless you wouldn't. I thought AC Delco or Delphi was factory brands and not aftermarket cheapo parts. I'll post the results as soon as I have them. Thanks for your help.

Also the first test I did with the gauge using the same hose and it held fine up to 84psi. What got me is using the same hose and gauge the pump blew the hose off the second time and the gauge still showed 0 psi. Definitely a faulty gauge. If you don't think I'm going in the right direction just let me know. I won't change it until this weekend.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

delphi is just as good,but if you go with advance auto local,you can order online,pick up in store. When you order online you can use coupon codes. i know they have one like 40-50 off 175. google advance auto codes,then click the first link (retailmenot) and find the best code. save moneys my man!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sometimes you can get good deals on Amazon & Ebay but you have to be careful, they've been known to put knockoff pumps in AC Delco & Delphi boxes. And yes, AC Delco & Delphi are both OEM parts, good stuff, the best money can buy.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys. That helped a lot and I did check them out. I used your advice Chris015 and went through Advanced Auto online. I did get a Delphi pump. With the promo I saved about $65. Good Job. It was still expensive but a lot less than buying straight from O'Reilly's...and they are shipping it to my house. Unfortunately it won't be until next Wed. or something but hey, it's not like the blazer is in a hurry to go anywhere. Since I've decided to take the tank out myself it'll give me time to work on it this weekend. You guys are awesome and have helped me a bunch. I'll be sure to post my results hopefully mid next week and let you know how it went.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:13 AM
AfterBurn99 is on a distinguished road

@Jack Hammer;

Make sure the new pump comes with a new strainer "sock". Also, good idea to change the fuel filter after you do the pump. It does indeed sound like a short in the pump itself.

Hopefully you got the whole sender unit assembly.

Good luck! Oh, and if your tank is more than 1/2 way full, try and siphon some gas out into a clean bucket with a strainer. Will make your life much easier.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member

Will do afterburner99. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Beginning Member

FIXED! After all of that it was the Fuel pump. It is now running great. Thank you again for all of your help.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:30 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jack hammer
FIXED! After all of that it was the Fuel pump. It is now running great. Thank you again for all of your help.
Good news, good feeling

Quick Reply: No start after replacing intake gaskets