2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No Start and no gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road
Default No Start and no gauges

Parked the Blazer (1998/1999 4 door) on Friday, washed on Sunday, and on Monday it wouldn't start. There is no life in the gauge cluster other than voltage, (check engine and security function normally as well).
First I checked all the fuses and all were good.
Next search on Blazer forum and followed the advice in this thread:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...o-start-52956/
It sounded a lot like my problem so I bought a new ignition starter switch. No change. . .
Here are my results:
Ignition switch wiring:
Red - always hot
Red/white - always hot
Pink - run/start
Brown - acc/run
yellow - no power
orange - no power
small red - no power
However if I jump power from red to small red I can start it with the key (but still no gauges) also I can jump it directly from red to yellow and it will turn over.

I also checked power to the fuses.
Under hood:
everything seems good, with all getting power with the key on run
Dash:
no power to the follow with key on run - STR WHL ILLUM / CLUSTER / or ILLUM. All the others have power with key in run position.

I'm stumped. Anyone have any good ideas?

Old 02-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

We need to know what year the vehicle is. 98 & 99 wiring is different. What is the 10th character of the VIN?

Old 02-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Starting Member

x 1999. Built in october 1998

Old 02-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

In the underhood fuse panel:

Using a volt meter, attach the ground probe to battery negative. Touch the positive probe (do not remove the fuse), to IGN C 20 amp fuse like this:

It must show battery voltage, on each terminal, at all times. If not, follow the small red wire from the ignition switch connector. It changes to orange, (at a connector) and continues to the underhood fuse panel connector, then to the IGN C fuse. Post your results. P39

Attached Thumbnails No Start and no gauges-68f3b6ff-bd00-4f90-9af7-928a9b79159e_zps62300fdc.png  

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-23-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:54 PM
Starting Member

I already checked the underhood fuses. . . all the fuses that should have power with key in run position had power.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:15 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

You should still test the fuses with a voltmeter. I had a no start issue about a year ago and it turned out to be a bad fuse. It looked ok but it wasn't transferring voltage somehow. A bad fuse doesn't always look blown.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:31 AM

If IGN C fuse shows battery voltage on both terminals, the orange wire at the fuse panel that changes to red, has an open circuit going to the ignition switch.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Starting Member

IGN C shows battery voltage at all key positions. I guess I have to follow the orange to red wire?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:12 PM

Yes, voltage from the fuse is not making it to the ignition switch. The wire is orange when it leaves the fuse panel and changes to red at a connector, then continues to the ignition switch connector. I'll do some research and try to figure out where the connector is when the wires change color.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Starting Member

Thanks Captain.
I probably won't have a chance to work on the blazer again before friday or saturday anyway.

Quick Reply: No Start and no gauges