2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Noise you can 'feel' under your feet...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:08 PM
jrm000kc is on a distinguished road
Default Noise you can 'feel' under your feet...

When driving my '98 Blazer I can hear something that sounds like it's loose. It's hard to describe-but you can definitely feel it underneath your feet when driving. Thinking it might be worn out sway bar bushings I replaced both last weekend-and it changed nothing. Steering doesn't feel loose (for a 4x4) and I jacked the driver's side front tire up to check the bearing-no slop or looseness. Just to eliminate the chance I pulled the brake caliper pins, cleaned and greased them with brake grease. It doesn't sound terrible-but front end noises make me nervous that shouldn't be there.

Could it be my front drive shaft turning? I've been trying to get the 4x4 working in preparation for winter. Sometimes the light on the 3-button switch will go out, like the computer isn't seeing what it's supposed to. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed. Thanks for reading.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:14 PM
deltrons is on a distinguished road

Ball joints, ok?

Old 10-15-2019, 11:11 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Can you describe what you mean by "loose"? I once had the anchor for the torsion bar break on my 92 and whenever I went over a bump I'd feel/hear a thump from under my seat.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:39 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Check the U joints in the front drive shaft and the axle CV joints .....

Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Do you hear it when you hit bumps? Maybe body mounts?

Old 10-16-2019, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas odat, Christine, and Tom A!

Yes! I forgot all about only feeling it whenever I'm going over bumps. I'll check the torsion bar mounts, but I'd think I would have noticed something amiss whenever I installed the new sway bar links. How exactly are you supposed to check body mounts as well as ball joints and u-joints? Jack the tire up and use a pry bar to wiggle everything and try to find something loose right? When I describe 'loose' I'm going on the feel of 4x4's versus 2-wheel drives as IMHO 4x4's have a little more slop. I checked the looseness by unlocking the steering wheel and turning it back and forth while standing outside watching the tire move. I don't think it's terrible-my wife claims it's looser than when we first bought it. She did also add that she hears a squeak or squeal whenever she makes turns in it.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:37 AM

I did a full 'shake' inspection underneath yesterday. When I started moving the torsion bar that runs underneath the floorboard I heard the noise. Looking up front I found the rubber grommet blown out on the driver's side. Bingo. Unfortunately, I also saw oil covering the oil filter door. It's the oil cooler lines that run from the filter junction up to the radiator. Yea, it sucks but I'm glad it's not the line that runs to the back because I once spent an afternoon replacing that. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Well shoot. Thought I had the noise taken care of but apparently not. I had absolutely NO idea about the torsion bars being adjustable so I've been studying up on them. It might possibly be a worn out/broken mount in the rear. I put new shocks on a couple of years ago and I wasn't too happy at the very stiff ride they created. (Rancho RS2000's if memory serves right.) Checking the adjustment on the torsion bars I've noticed the driver's side adjustment bolt is backed out nearly 2 inches. My understanding is that turning the bolt in stiffens the tension correct? In order to adjust the front should be off the ground right? Is there a factory default setting I could reset to and then tweak to level out the truck and possibly achieve a softer ride? I could care less about how high I can get it-what I want is a soft ride where I don't feel not only bumps but even cracks in the road. Suggestions, thoughts, ideas, all welcome. Thanks for reading.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jrm000kc
Well shoot. Thought I had the noise taken care of but apparently not. I had absolutely NO idea about the torsion bars being adjustable so I've been studying up on them. It might possibly be a worn out/broken mount in the rear. I put new shocks on a couple of years ago and I wasn't too happy at the very stiff ride they created. (Rancho RS2000's if memory serves right.) Checking the adjustment on the torsion bars I've noticed the driver's side adjustment bolt is backed out nearly 2 inches. My understanding is that turning the bolt in stiffens the tension correct? In order to adjust the front should be off the ground right? Is there a factory default setting I could reset to and then tweak to level out the truck and possibly achieve a softer ride? I could care less about how high I can get it-what I want is a soft ride where I don't feel not only bumps but even cracks in the road. Suggestions, thoughts, ideas, all welcome. Thanks for reading.
I've attached the instructions from the 1999 service manual for adjusting the front height.

BTW, the torsion bars can "sag" but it is unlikely.

Attached Files

Last edited by christine_208; 10-20-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208
I've attached the instructions from the 1999 service manual for adjusting the front height.

BTW, the torsion bars can "sag" but it is unlikely.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Noise you can 'feel' under your feet...