2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

non start, pulling hair out now

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:00 PM
gareth12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default non start, pulling hair out now

hi, im new to here and have a chevy blazer 4.3 on a 98 plate in the uk. its a customers of mine. it first came in and it wouldnt start. checked everything and i then decided to replace the distrubuter. ordered one and timed it up and its all ok, running fine, we had it for a week or two, driving in and out then it stopped again. the same problem. i have check fuel pressure and its about 60psi. i have check the spark to the plugs. thats ok and strongi checked the timing chain and that hasnt jumped. the diistrubuter is on the little 6 on tdc no 1. i have got it running twice but only if i take the bolt out of the distrubuter and turn it. i have moved the disturubuter around,if i turn one way i lose the spark but if i turn the other way it has a spark. it turns over and just pops and back fires.
what causes this? could it be a broken wire?
i disconnected the battery for an hour. i got the alarm deactivated. im stuck. please help.

the only fault code is evap pressure low. could this cause it? there was a code in there for aIC something. what is this.

please help

Gareth

Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Default RE: non start, pulling hair out now

anyone please

Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Patience man... Geez... Free advice may not be as timely as you like...

So from what I gathered, you're workin' on a '98 Blazer 4.3L... Going with that information, the timing is not modifiable. The distributor should be installed straight up cylinder #1 and only has 1 way that the hold down clamp will be installed. If you don't have the retention bolt in and are turning it to get spark, then you may be a tooth off. Here is the timing procedure for this motor: EDI Engine Timing. Seeing as how the truck was running ok after the distributor replacement, then the timing should be good, but it never hurts to check.

What were the specific codes?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 AM

hi. thanks for the reply. i have check and rechecked the timing and its ok. (within the number six at tdc. i even thought i was180deg out and tried that way.i no you cant adjust the timing and it should work from the right place. other then timing what else could cause this problem. i cant remember the exact fault code, but will go and plug the machine in again. i have a very strong spark coming out of the coil. and it never goes when cranking. i have spark to the plugs, i have fuel, so why.

Thanks again

Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it throwin a code? you said its uk blazer? i want the tailights=)

Old 10-11-2007, 08:17 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: gareth12

hi. thanks for the reply. i have check and rechecked the timing and its ok. (within the number six at tdc. i even thought i was180deg out and tried that way.i no you cant adjust the timing and it should work from the right place. other then timing what else could cause this problem. i cant remember the exact fault code, but will go and plug the machine in again. i have a very strong spark coming out of the coil. and it never goes when cranking. i have spark to the plugs, i have fuel, so why.

Thanks again
Are you using cylinder 6 for timing?

You should be using cylinder 1...