2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

O4 blazer Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Kai90 is on a distinguished road
Default O4 blazer Help!

Im new to this thread as well as not very experienced so bare with me please! i need help my 04 blazer 4x4 has been having some issues and i need advise on what to check next.
1. gagues and car door beeping goes crazy on and off door lights flashing stero on without the key in the iginition.
2. Stero started smoking so I pulled it out wires were melted on the stero. connections from the car were fine not sure why?
3. The battery is constantly being drained. I can start the blazer np with a jump but if i let it sit even an hour completely dead took the battery to get checked and its fine.
4. The iginition cylinder is tricky you have to hold the key in a certain way to turn not sure if that vould be am issue.
Id appreciate any advise! Thanks in advance!

Old 02-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

That really sounds like the ignition cylinder has gone bad. It doesn't recognize the key position and is keeping circuits on. It's connected to all the circuits you're having problems with. One day the holding the key just right trick won't work.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:18 PM

Okay thank you! Should i replace both the ignition switch and cylinder? Or just the cylinder first?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I would start with the switch and go from there.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Yes ignition SWITCH, not the cylinder, unless the cylinder is worn.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 PM

Okay thanks ill do the switch this week and update!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:38 PM

Okay so i took out the old switch put in the new one but the old switch had spliced wires? They were into the red and white wire, the yellow wire twice and the pink wire i cant tell where the other wires are coming from but ill check again in the morning. Why would someone slice into the ignition switch and should i slice the new one switch to match the old one?

Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kai90
Okay so i took out the old switch put in the new one but the old switch had spliced wires? They were into the red and white wire, the yellow wire twice and the pink wire i cant tell where the other wires are coming from but ill check again in the morning. Why would someone slice into the ignition switch and should i slice the new one switch to match the old one?
If and when any time someone splices into a lead wire, they had a bad circuit somewhere so they just jump that circuit to another.I would change the cylinder first .I had a similar problem with the chevy work van at work..Sometimes the dome lights would stay on and sometimes it won`t ,Plus I had to wiggle,wiggle the key to get it started.the boss man finally took it to GM dealer.Come to find out the cylinder was defective.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

There could have been a remote start unit installed. I would take the time to remove all the spliced wiring so it can't cause any more problems.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
There could have been a remote start unit installed. I would take the time to remove all the spliced wiring so it can't cause any more problems.
I second that! With all the hacking done to the ignition switch wiring, it definitely points to a rookie installation job of a remote starter or security system. Like Rusty mentioned, remove all of the add on stuff.