2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ODBII Code Scanners for Blazers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 11:54 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough
Default ODBII Code Scanners for Blazers

When members come here for help with more complicated problems that have many potential causes, we end up asking about trouble codes and live data almost immediately. Anyone doing their own repair work that gets into complex powertrain issues really needs a good scanner capability in the toolbox, otherwise its frustration and the parts cannon. There are layers to code reader capability which spans from basic government mandated diagnostics that every scanner has, to elaborate mnfg specific PIDs and bidirectional communication capability. In days of old, highly capable scanners were dealer luxuries that few of us had access to but in todays world that is no longer true.

Les, one of our members/moderators has experience with cost effective scanning capability for second gen blazers, kind of a keeper of the stones on this subject. By agreement with him, I offer a recent summary that he provided on the subject to help guide users needing more capability that will not break the bank.

From Les:

Any old code reader will read/clear codes and display universal OBD2 PIDs. If that is all you need, get Torque Light (free) for your Android Phone and a BAFX Bluetooth Adapter from Amazon ($25). Beware of the cheapie Bluetooth adapters - they can be VERY slow.

1. For routine stuff on 1998+ Blazers I still like Car Diagnostic Pro (Updated version of Car Gauge Pro). Bluetooth OBD2 Interface. Reason: It will read/clear codes for other systems like ABS, HVAC, SIR, etc, it displays virtually all of the GM Powertrain PIDs for no extra money, and it has the bluetooth interface. Does Cam Sensor Retard. Cheap. Note that Car Gauge Pro does not work on the latest Android versions (only Car Diagnostic Pro). Only bad thing: No apparent support for 1996-1997 GM PIDs and no support for GM PIDs with CAN Protocol started in 2006. Cost: $9

2. For routine stuff on 1996-1997 Blazers I still like Dash Command. Bluetooth OBD2 Interface. Reason: It will actually display the 1996-1997 GM powertrain PIDs if you pay the extra money. Still cheap. Does Cam Sensor Retard. There is also an iPhone version that requires a WiFi OBD2 Interface. Will do all the years of Blazers, but you have to pay extra for the GM PIDs for each calendar year. Cost: $10 + $10 for each year of vehicle for GM PIDs. Will not do anything with other vehicle systems.

3. I have to mention Torque Pro for it's very nicely done User Interface. GM PIDs without extra purchase, but does not have Cam Sensor Retard PID. Bluetooth OBD2 Interface. Cost $9 Will not do anything with any vehicle systems other than Powertrain. Not sure if it works on 1996-1997 Blazers. Worth having if you get a Bluetooth adapter (if nothing more, worth it for just for the ability to plot/watch multiple PIDs on same graph).

4. Scan XL Pro. Windows software. Made by same company as Dash Command. $150 including all years of GM PIDs. Does GM PIDs on all years of Blazers including Cam Sensor Retard. Hardwired cable OBD2 adapter plugged into USB is how I used it, but I think it will do wireless. Does some ABS functions I have read but not used. Haven't used it for a long time.

5. HPTuners VCM Scanner. Windows software. Diagnostic end of the tuning software. $300 IIRC. Hardwired cable OBD2 adapter plugged into USB (made for the specific software). Has bi-directional control for select things like Crank Sensor Relearn, Injector Balance test, transmission control, etc. This one I used for Crank Sensor Relearns until I found #6.

6. Vident I-link400. Hand held scanner. $159. This one gets reasonably close to a Tech 2 in the stuff it can do. Still figuring out all it can do. Know it does Crank Sensor Relearn and Brake Bleeding. Know it does HVAC and 4WD PIDs. I'm sure there are some things that it doesn't do but I haven't found them yet.

As far as the Tech2 clones...... I have never had one, so I don't feel comfortable making recommendations about them. It's my understanding that they are really clones and have all the functionality of the Tech 2.

As far as the other software that is supposed to the same things as I described........ Autoenginuity, EFI live, Blue Driver, etc....... I have never had them so I cannot review them.

Les

A more recent post by Les with his updated thoughts:

"As far as the scanners, I really bought the Vident handheld for doing the ABS brake bleeding procedure and found out it really does a lot of bidirectional stuff. But 95% of the time, I just use the bluetooth OBD2 adapter and phone software because it is so convenient and will handle most everything. I started with Torque and then added Scan XL Pro for Windows to do Cam Sensor Retard. Then I found Car Gauge Pro which did cam sensor retard with the bluetooth and also would display/clear codes for other systems in the vehicle like the ABS, SIR, HVAC, BCM, etc. Added Dash Command because for some reason neither bluetooth software would connect with my 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (first year of a new communication protocol). Then added HP Tuners VCM scanner for Windows to do crank sensor relearns and some bidirectional control like the cylinder balance test. Finally bought the Vident I-link 400 for the ABS and found it did all functions nicely except for the plotting and logging but was not so convenient to use. I even unlocked a junkyard factory CD changer/radio for my G6 with the Vident. I keep finding out more and more that it will do. But I just pick the one I think will do the best for me at the moment. I suppose I have collected various OBD2 softwares with a focus on the Blazers. To me they are all interesting"

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 06-29-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:56 PM
BF Veteran
Default ODB 1.5 scanners

I found some information regarding scanning ODB 1.5 vehicles from Actron. It looks like their CP9145 and CP9150 models can scan all '94 and '95 models with either the 12 pin or 16 pin DLC. I have the CP9145, its a good scanner. I doesn't graph but it has live data. I see them on ebay used for $75 - $125.

George

Old 02-12-2022, 02:50 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Manual for Vident iLink series scanners, including the iLink 400 attached.

Attached Files
Old 02-12-2022, 03:45 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough
Default Vident I-link 400 GM function list

GM Functions list for Vident I-link 400. If you want an all-in-one hardwired handheld that does Cam Sensor Retard, Brake Bleeding, Cylinder Balance, Crank Sensor Relearn, and much more - I highly recommend this one. I have it at home, but carry a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter in the vehicle to use a phone OBD2 scanner app when on the go. I even unlocked a junkyard 6-disc CD Changer/radio for my 2006 Pontiac G6. General Manual is in post immediately above.

https://www.obdii365.com/upload/pro/...807657729.xlsx

Old 02-12-2022, 09:40 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I did a preliminary test of the Vident iLink400 on my 99 Blazer today.

I was able to read the codes (below) that were stored in the DTC history and no longer active. These align with some old fixed and repairs.

SIR:
B1036 Disc. Sensor Open or Short to Voltage

ABS:
C0226 LF signal missing
C0281 stop lamp
C0225 LF open circuit
C0222 RF signal missing

I was also able to find the ABS control panel. I was able to do what I think was the bleeding of the ABS by holding the brake pedal down and then pressing the correct key to cycle the pump of the ABS. There is not much in my GM manual about exactly happens when the "Automated Bleed Procedure" is executed using the GM scan tool so I can't be sure that this is the same. Confusingly, I found more than one set of ABS controls on the scanner. One set seemed to include controls for individual parts of the ABS system such as valves for each of the four tires. The GM manual instructs to bleed all four wheels by pushing through fluid by depressing the brake pedal. Then running the ABS bleed. Finally, the bleeding of the wheels is done a second time.

There is a sub-menu for controls for the Body Control Module but its only option was to reset the lock fobs.

The last option I explored was to reset the speedometer calibration. This is done by changing the size of the tire the BCM or ECM thinks is on the vehicle. Unfortunately, it the list did not have the tires I'm running which are 30x9.5/R15s. They had long list of other P and LT metric sized tires and also a few inch-sized tires including 31x10.5/R15s. I should be able to find a tire on their list that has the same or very close circumference to my 30s so that I get the speedometer to read correctly. Depending on the GM model, you can also reset the odometer but alas this was not possible for the Blazers through 2005.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member
LilJimmy05 is on a distinguished road

And obd HUDs you recommend?

Old 03-13-2022, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by LilJimmy05
And obd HUDs you recommend?
I have been using the following hard-wired OBD-II scanner/gauge reader so that I can monitor the transmission temperature.
https://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php...roducts_id=224

Old 10-24-2022, 11:05 AM
Stovey will become famous soon enough

Is the Vident iLink 400 still the recommended scanner?

My ABS doesn't work at all, and the airbag light is intermittent.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:19 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Stovey
Is the Vident iLink 400 still the recommended scanner?

My ABS doesn't work at all, and the airbag light is intermittent.
Recently I was able to use my iLink to operate my ABS bleed commands. It really helped. I have also been able to pull the code for an airbag light. Not surprisingly it was for one of the sensors.

It is a bit kludgy to navigate, but it works.

I was also able to control odd things like parts of the HVAC system and see engine data values. I can't remember the specifics though.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:28 AM
BF Veteran

It seems to still be the most cost effective way to get you “most of the way there”. Like Christine says it’s a little clunky/klugey compared to say a Snapon but it’s way cheaper and most of us don’t have to diagnose 4 vehicles per day so it’s a good value. Les is one of our resident scanner experts and he still recommends it.

George

Quick Reply: ODBII Code Scanners for Blazers