2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

OEM Fog Light 98 LT Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member
TimmiT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OEM Fog Light 98 LT Blazer

So, after 9 years of owning this thing, I finally looked at putting some fog lights in. As I am looking at it, I think to myself "When do thoose lights next to the signal come on?" I have the 2 piece fog/ signal lights. Pullling the grill out, I can see they are wired. There is a fuse and relay in the block under the hood. The thing not there is the switch under the other light controls.

Another site indicated that the fogs should be standard on the LT, but this was Canadien, so not sure if there was a difference.

Should I have a switch for them? If it was optional, how would I go about wiring up to the relay, just a switch to the one side?

I have not pulled the dash off to look for any wiring. Any others with this set up?

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Starting Member
Numba1Sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: OEM Fog Light 98 LT Blazer

they could be hooked up with your parking lights, so if parking light are on they are too. try turning your lights on and see what happens.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Beginning Member

I checked all light options. This has the auto lights, so DRL are on automatically, then low beams in low light.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have OEM or aftermarket fogs but I have taken my dash off multiple times. I do have the wires for fog lights but they aren't connected to anything obviously. You can see them at the bottom of the embedded picture at the bottom of this post. If they aren't coming on ever and you have the OEM fogs, I would first check to see if they're connected up on the actual fog light, then trace the wire back. Then I would pull the dash bezel off and make sure the wiring is there as well. If you don't have the fog light switch below the headlight switch as seen here:

then I would go to the junkyard and find one that does and replace yours with it. I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be to just buy a toggle switch yourself and wire it up.

Let us know what you find out!

[IMG]local://upfiles/5485/A20D334FEDBB4269846EA4CDF1234C4B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Beginning Member

Yep, that is the area I need to check. How nice of GM to give me lights, and you the switch. There are definately wires off of the lights, and without tracing them back, I assume they go to the installed fuse and relay in the panel under the hood. I have had the dash off befor, but was really only looking at the light switch wiring as a pain. Not sure if I removed it the last time I had the dash out, or just let it hang[]

Old 03-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I had a chance to pull off the dash. The wiring for the fog lamps (that my window sticker said I had) was there. It was plugged into the back of that panel, as shown above. The only thing missing is the switch. I played around with a jumper wire a bit to make the lamps come on. Once jumped, the lamps would stay on, even with the jumper removed. Re-jumping would turn them off.They were only on whn the low beams were on, not the driving, or high beams. Now I just need to track down the right switch. Anyone know what all the wires are (four of them)? I assume one is power, one is ground. One came on when the lights were turned on, but the other seemed to do nothing.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

All the wires I believe are power, ground for both sides!!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I tried the salvage yard that was open today. They were picked clean.

It seems logical that there would be a power and other for each, and that a double pole switch would be all that is required. However, the volt meter told me differently, as in the one had constant power, and one only powered with the low beams on. Also, the oddest thing to me was that I just had to temporarily make the connection to turn them on, and that a constant connection was not required for them to stay on.

Anyone know of a wiring diagram for this switch. , or know what sort of switch that is?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 PM
vinniej is an unknown quantity at this point

as far as the switch, it is a momentary on switch (kinda like one of the letter keys on your computer keyboard). It just "signals" the computer to turn your lights on, and then signals it again to turn them off. I am thinking the other wires in the harness may be for the illumination of the factory switch (just a thought)???? If you were able to jumper it and make them work, you could go to an auto parts store and ask for a momentary on switch (one that will return to the "off" position when released) and wire i that way.I hope I've been at least a little help to you.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 AM
vinniej is an unknown quantity at this point

ebay has several, just search for blazer fog switch (search in title and description)
switch on ebay
another switch