2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil leak

I pressure washed my under carriage and noticed alot of old oil build up on the tranny and motor. I pulled my blazer into my driveway and let it sit there and noticed it is leaking oil. Does any one have an idea where it is leaking from? Here is a pic.As you can see it is coming out from the boot and by the bolt above the oil drain. any ideas?

Last edited by dimone545; 11-02-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Get a mechanics mirror and check for a leak at the valve covers, intake manifold, oil cooling line adapter, oil pressure sender. If no oil is found in the sides or above the bell housing on the transmission it is probably the rear main seal.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM

anyone else have an opinion? I talked to my transmission guy about pulling the tranny so I could replace the rear main seal and he said that in his experience 99 percent of the time its the oil pan that is leaking on the 4.3 liters and it just looks like the rear main. How can I tell for sure without yanking the tranny? My haynes says that in the 4x4 model you dont have to remove the motor to replace the pan gasket just the front driveshaft so i am hoping that this is the problem.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:58 PM

well I did some more checking and it looks like its coming from here.

Gonna pressure wash better and watch it for the leak spot

Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Good pics. Makes it much easier to help.

Your pic is the oil cooling/oil filter line adapter I mentioned. Yes wash it off and see where the oil is coming from. It could be coming from the valve cover or intake manifold and running down to your pic area. If it is the adapter a new gasket is a pretty easy fix. The gasket where the lines connect does not usually leak. You possibly have more than one leak which is often the case. Try to eliminate then one at a time. If it is the rear of the oil pan it will often be seen coming down the back of the pan/front of the belhousing but the wind will blow it around and fool you some times.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is also possible that it is coming from a leaking rear main seal. If you pull those plugs out from the transmission bell housing, you should be able to see the front of the flex plate. If it is covered with oil, the rear main seal is bad. If it is dry, then the rear main seal is good.

Another likely possibility is that the oil pan has loosened up a bit. I had this happen to my old 2000 Bravada. The pan bolts would loosen up. It required removing the rear most bolts, cleaning the bolts and holes with degreaser, and then putting some medium strength loctite on the bolts.

Given the last picture above, it looks like the gasket on the remote oil filter adapter has developed a leak. You can try snugging up the bolts on the adapter to see if that helps.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 PM

thanks alot for the help guys. I will tighten up the bolts tomorrow and pull those plugs to check for oil. Crossing my fingers that its not the rear main..... I really dont want to pull the tranny, I hate transmissions......lol

Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 PM

well I am pretty sure that it is the oil filter adapter like you guys said but I cant find a gasket for it any where. Could I just use a gasket in the tube kind of stuff or do you guys know where I could get a gasket for it.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:50 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

rockauto.com part #82560 $2.71 plus tax

Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Beginning Member
jeffintoronto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It is also possible that it is coming from a leaking rear main seal. If you pull those plugs out from the transmission bell housing, you should be able to see the front of the flex plate. If it is covered with oil, the rear main seal is bad. If it is dry, then the rear main seal is good.
Rehashing an old thread here, but I seem to be faced with a near identical situation. I plan to check the remote adapter first, then the oil pan bolts, then the rear main seal.

In terms of checking the rear main seal, is it as easy as just pulling out those two (or one of) rubber plugs and looking at the front of the flex plate? I mean - is it as simple as just pulling on them to get them out? Then, is it simple to just push them back in place?
(what is their purpose? is it just a means of being able to check the flexplate easily?)

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: oil leak