2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Leak

2002 4wd, 4dr: oil drips off of inspection cover; possibly from the small hole in the bell housing...but not sure. I have checked and checked and checked and unable to find any oil coming from intake or valve covers. (I just did the intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets a month or so ago).

I had wiped the bottom of the engine off and then let it idle for a good 30 minutes while I watched and the oil drips off othe inspection cover. I know I have a small leak at the front cover, but with the vehicle stationary there was no air to push the oil drips around, so this was not the source.

Is the rear main seal a known problem on the 4.3L engine?
Where else could this oil be leaking from? I get about a 1" diameter circle on the driveway after I park it.

Appreciate any help once again.

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-17-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

ive seen issues of the rear main seal on the 4.3's

Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 AM

With the 4.3L engine having a one piece rear main seal alot of work is involved in changing it out: drop the transfer case then drop the transmission, so I need to be 100% sure it is the rear main before doing all of this....without a lift!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Rambo_Chav is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem on my 95'. It was the oil filter lines. I would try that before the rear main. Good luck

Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM

I am sure it is not the oil filter lines as the oil drips out of the small hole in the bell housing above the oil pan drain bolt.
The leak is getting worse....I have looked and looked and looked some more at the rear of the intake, but all I can think of is that I did not get a good RTV seal at the back on the intake when I replaced the intake gaskets in Dec....so I am going to take the intake off again and re-do everything.

I cleaned the block and intake with brake cleaner and made sure there was no oil to keep the RTV from sticking....but oil is sure coming from somewhere.

Oh well....guess I should just look at this as "quality time with my Blazer"......

Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Before you touch the rear main. i bet its the adapter the cooler lines run into. it'll run down the inspection plate and look like its the rear main seal. ive replaced and seen it happen on 3 of em. run to the car wash,pressure wash the adapter. pull it forward into a dry spot,and get underneath it and get comfortable and watch. people think your nuts but youll see it leaking if it is. there is a paper gasket,and a oring on it.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM

I did something like that. Wiped off the bottom of engine, then let it idle and I would wait for it to drip onto the floor and then I got under it. All I could see was an oil trail coming out of the little hole in the bell housing.

I hope it is the oil adapter. I hope it is a valve cover gasket that I replaced.
I even hope it is the intake.....anything but the rear main seal.

This oil leak appeared after I replaced the intake and valve cover gaskets. In changing the oil afterwards, I managed to spill a bit when the funnel came out of the oil fill tube in the right side valve cover. I thought the oil was from this...and it was for a couple of days. But it has been two months now and the oil leak has gotten steadly worse.

I will check the oil filter adapter, oil lines, everything once again before I take the intake off again. Even today I had my hand and paper towel wiping along the rear edge of the intake trying to find fresh oil....NOTHING. But still had a 2" circle of oil on the driveway....and this was with the engine running about five minutes.

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-28-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Beginning Member
cloudchaos is on a distinguished road

If you replace the cooler lines get AC gaskets I used FelPro and they were to thick and leaked all the oil out.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Dump some Lucas Oil Treatment in the motor. It will help if it is a rear seal.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 PM

The oil is coming from the small hole at the bottom of the bell housing. It is not the oil filter adapter, or oil cooler lines.

Again hopefully the leak is from the rear of the intake. I will begin to remove parts so I can get my hand in there before I remove the intake.

I will post my findings.

Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak