2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil leaking from plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013 | 08:47 AM
|
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Default oil leaking from plug

Its been happening for a little while and I Assumed it was the plug seal...had it put on yesterday when I had my oil changed...still slowly dripping at the bottom of the plug area only... What else could it be? Can the actual plug be bad?

Old 09-11-2013 | 09:47 AM
spittybays

Valve cover gasket leaking down?

Old 09-11-2013 | 10:45 AM
|

Not to sound like a complete noon but where is that located? And what does it look like lol

Old 09-11-2013 | 02:53 PM
|

Also its only at the bottom of the plug.and its a slow drip (I think)

Old 09-13-2013 | 01:37 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well-as you said it is the oil drain plug and as the pans are aluminum,if you let some idjit at quik-lube change your oil(using inferior oil & filters)you have a minor stripped plug. Go to a good jobber and get a single oversize plug with self cutting threads. replace this your self as if its not lined up well more damage will occur! And NEVER EVER let these places change your oil again! For $4 more you can get quality products from NAPA or Advance and never have to worry about a pimply wrench wanna-be causing problems with your motor!

Old 09-13-2013 | 02:14 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

It may be as simple as a bad washer on the drain plug. My buddy has a '93 two-door Jimmy and he bought it for $500 because the GMC dealer told the PO that it needed a new rear main seal. I told him to buy it and just keep putting oil in it. The first time I changed oil for him I noticed the washer on the drain plug was bad. I replaced it and fixed his oil leak.

Old 09-13-2013 | 08:02 AM
spittybays

Sorry I have no idea why I assumed you meant spark plug.

Old 09-13-2013 | 01:39 PM
|

I have been going to the same mechanic for the entire life of my truck...he's a family friend and ase cert. Trust me I'll never let any of the morons at pep girls or sears auto touch my truck even with something as simple as an oil change. He's in his early 50s and surprisingly an honest mechanic ..yea I said it haha...I don't think it'd be that he stripped the plug but it is aluminum so who knows

And Toby you said a bad washer...are you talking about the rubber seal? I call it the plug gasket lol just try a see if that's what you meant or if there's an actual metal washer on the plug

Old 09-13-2013 | 03:47 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

It could very well be the oil drain plug. I have/had (I do my own now) a place up at the end of my street that changes oil and the first time I went up there the mech came out to me showing me the strip plug and said he notice it when he took the plug out. They replace it for nothing. I never did notice it because the Blazer leaks anyhow from the the oil lines running from the filter and I'm to lazy to fix them. Plus once dirt gets built on them they stop leaking, but everytime I took it up there to have the oil and filter change they would wipe the lines off thus starting the leak again so I stop using them only for that reason, they were to good..hahahahahahaha...Check out your plug and washer, if thats not it then its you pan and the threads might be strip there or the worse case the pan is crack.

Old 09-14-2013 | 08:26 PM
|

Originally Posted by dman001948
It could very well be the oil drain plug. I have/had (I do my own now) a place up at the end of my street that changes oil and the first time I went up there the mech came out to me showing me the strip plug and said he notice it when he took the plug out. They replace it for nothing. I never did notice it because the Blazer leaks anyhow from the the oil lines running from the filter and I'm to lazy to fix them. Plus once dirt gets built on them they stop leaking, but everytime I took it up there to have the oil and filter change they would wipe the lines off thus starting the leak again so I stop using them only for that reason, they were to good..hahahahahahaha...Check out your plug and washer, if thats not it then its you pan and the threads might be strip there or the worse case the pan is crack.
ill have to check that next time i do the oil change. right now i see maybe one tiny drip at the bottom of them bolt. now when you say the washer, should there be an additional washer on there? or is it just the bottom of the bolt head youre refering to. I only see the bolt on there...maybe im missing something lol

Quick Reply: oil leaking from plug