2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Lines, Oil Filter Housing Need Replaced... Mieneke says almost $700

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Beginning Member
cahlersmeyer is on a distinguished road

I got the hose that goes from the radiator to the housing off easy, but I can't free the bolt that holds the hose from the housing to the engine block. I can't get enough torque on it because the housing is free and dangling. Any thoughts? Anything better than WD40 to free it up a little?

And d*mn this repair is messy lol

Old 11-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Starting Member
LRV31 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
Anything better than WD40 to free it up a little?
Probably everything!

Much better stuff out there than WD. Aerokroil is the best I've used but its not found in stores. PB Blaster is very good and its usually available in the parts stores.

Also, I personally would stay away from using the engine flush you showed in the the photo. Again .

Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LRV31
Probably everything!
is a better penetrating oil than wd 40

Much better stuff out there than WD. Aerokroil is the best I've used but its not found in stores. PB Blaster is very good and its usually available in the parts stores.

Also, I personally would stay away from using the engine flush you showed in the the photo. Again .

Good Luck!
Good advice on both counts. Worth WAY more than 4 cents.

WD 40 works good to free up sticky mechanisms. That means like door latches. It is neither a penetrant or long term lubricant.
It's also good to displace water such as inside dist cap or ign wiring

For me, if PBlaster works on rusty manifold to exhaust bolts.. and it does.. that is brilliant. They've been a bane of mine for 50 years of wrenching on my cars.

OTOH, you DO NOT want to flush anything in your car without fore thought. With flushes, things tend to come out in chunks. Ever use a cleaner in your coffee maker.. that's a flush. Ever hear of guys transmission going out after a flush?

I'll say this again till I'm blue in the face.. The best flush is a superior oil like Mobil 1. It cleans up things slow and dissolves them. And doesnt allow new deposits.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Beginning Member
cahlersmeyer is on a distinguished road

Well, after about 3 hours of work and some busted knuckles, everything is working!!

Had to use some 3-in-1 oil to free up the bolt, but with a little working, it came off. Its a little difficult to get the hose screws from the radiator to the hoses on and off at first, but once I figured it out, it was a piece of cake.

Put in the new oil as well as a qt of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil stabilizer and everything is fine so far!

Thanks for all your help guys! I might even write up a DIY to help others in the future!