2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Pan Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oil Pan Leaks

Ok... So I've got some spots in the driveway. Just started leaking since I moved. Oil was changed about 1,000 miles ago, when I didn't want it to be changed... Long story short, the shop that was doing an alignment for me changed the oil for me.

Anyway, now to the problem at hand. I've got 4 leaks around the perimeter of the oil pan. One up front, one on each side, and another one in the back between the engine and trans.

I'm debating on whether to attempt this myself, or just have a shop do it. AllDataDIY.com says that the motor needs to be pulled... I know for a fact, that if it were to be done with the engine in the truck, one would have to pull the front axle...

Now, I'm going to be changing the oil out and putting in 10w30 and see what happens... This time I'll drop in some cheap Mobil or some other oil just for this time. I'll also try to tighten down the pan bolts to see if that does anything this weekend. I don't have ANY time to really do this myself, but if there were an easier way...

I guess what I'm asking is what are your opinions or experiences. I have the money to pay someone else to do it, but I would like to try it myself. I have the facilities, just really not the time and especially now, this time of year...

Old 12-16-2005, 03:05 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Oil Pan Leaks

Do you know how much it leaks becuase sometimes it not worth doing all that work for an engine that leaks one or two onces between oil change. I would change the oil and make note of the amount that is on the dipstick and then next oil change or half way too check the amount leaked. It might be oil spilt from adding oil. It sounds hard to change the gaskets and it will be expensive for a mechanic to do.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Leaks more than an ounce or two. I've already thought it out and the first step in the process will start tomorrow morning. I'm dropping the truck off at my dad's shop tonight so it can warm-up/thaw-out/drip-off. I'll change the oil to 10w30 and also try to tighten down the oil pan. The problem is it leaks only when it's running with the oil being thrown around. It is leaking from 4 spots, but really only the rear leak drips to the ground and that is leaking out of the drain hole in the flywheel/converter area.

I really can do all of the work myself and this may be an opportunity for me to completely tear down the motor. If it comes out, it'll get rebuilt. I really will have some time to screw with it, but it is over my christmas vacation (plant shutdown for the week between Christmas and New Years). I should have plenty of time to pull the motor, do the work, and put it back in.

What gets me is that it only has 76k miles on it. It shouldn't be leaking! I'm hoping that by tightening up the pan bolts, that it'll cure the problem. I believe the pan gasket is not a gasket, but an o-ring. If that's the case, tightening it should fix the problem. It's either that or I could loosen all of the bolts up and drop it down slightly and clean the oring and mating surfaces and put it back together. What harm could come of that? If it doesn't work, I'm no better or worse than I was before.

I went through the whole fix it or not. I just don't let my vehicles stay in such a state, period. It is unacceptable to me. What is getting me about this is that I don't know how long I'm going to keep it around. If I don't sell it this summer, it'll definitely go next summer. I pay off my Bonneville in alittle over a year and then it's time for a new truck.

It's quite a predicament.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

It is definitely not oil spilt during an oil change. The leak only just started less than a month ago, but it really hasn't been driven for quite awhile either.

Well, it has been around 3-4 months since the oil was changed. When I started noticing the oil spot on the driveway, I checked the oil level and it read 1/2 in the good zone. Now, that isn't a good measure because I can't remember what it read the last time I had checked it only that it wasn't all that low. I normally run at the top of the full zone.

Basically, the leak started when it got cold out. Before then, it was nice, clean, and dry underneith.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

On my 1993 Blazer I had a heck of an oil leak. Turned out to be the right valve cover gasket, apparently when someone replaced it (just guessing as my replacement looked to be made of the same material), they got one corner (right rear) rolled inside the large lip that is in the valve cover to hold the gasket in place (good design on the valve cover, couldn't understand how someone could screw it up). Long story short, that took care of any visible oil spots on my floor.

I feel your pain with regards to the oil leak. I hate oil leaks, I like a clean concrete floor. Good luck with yours.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

PS Swartlkk, I sent you a PM, look in your inbox.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Yup, email'd you back.

Yeah, I wish mine were a valve cover gasket. I see no signs of oil up on the sides of the block though... ERRG. I'll know more in the coming week. I'll try everything I have stated above tomorrow. Plus I'll clean all those areas VERY well with some degreaser so I can really see where it's coming from.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with whatevery you do. I don't think I would go through the trouble of pulling the engine to trade it off in a year or so. Then again, I drive them till they die, permantely. Or the wife makes me trade it off due to rust.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

If I pull the engine, it will stick around for quite awhile. I'll know more tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Ok, here's the scoop. Got it up in the air this morning, drained the oil, and went to checking the torque of the pan bolts. Front 4 bolts were loose! I could have removed them without the rachet, just the socket and extension!!! Tighten those up, and also put about a 1/4 turn on the two rear most bolts. Filled it back up with Quaker State 10w30 convensional. So far it hasn't leaked a drop. Only time will tell. I'm guessing that the front bolts were causing the leak, but the rear bolts didn't seem all that loose. Plus, when looking up through the inspection hole in the bottom of the TC area, it looked like the pan was dry, but the rear main seal was what was wet... Now the pan not being torqued down properly could have caused all of this, but it is doubtful. For now it isn't leaking. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Leaks