2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

One wheel spins

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 09:32 PM
Starting Member
BigBlue2door is on a distinguished road
Default One wheel spins

I'm very new to the car world. Ive always had an interest but as for building cars, i'm completely new, so have mercy on me. I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 2 door 2wd. I dont think chevy put anything other than a 4.3 in them but i could be wrong. Anyways... is it possible to get both of my back wheels to spin at the same time instead of just one? I know it is, i just dont have the proper vocabulary to ask what i need to ask. I dont know what parts to buy or what they are called, and i dont know if theres more than one way to achieve this but i want the most reliable, less-likely-to-break way.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:41 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BigBlue2door
I'm very new to the car world. Ive always had an interest but as for building cars, i'm completely new, so have mercy on me. I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 2 door 2wd. I dont think chevy put anything other than a 4.3 in them but i could be wrong. Anyways... is it possible to get both of my back wheels to spin at the same time instead of just one? I know it is, i just dont have the proper vocabulary to ask what i need to ask. I dont know what parts to buy or what they are called, and i dont know if theres more than one way to achieve this but i want the most reliable, less-likely-to-break way.
What you are asking about is the type of differential is installed in your rear axle.

The traditional type is called an "open" differential. For these, if one wheel looses all traction the other will spin. There are some nice videos and animations online that can demonstrate how differential gears work, why they are necessary, and the origin of the name "differential."

What you describing what you want is called a locking or limited slip differential. The difference being the details of the mechanism. These mechanisms will engage and override the differential mechanism to allow both wheels to be driven equally.

For our Blazers what you are looking for is an axle that is designated with the RPO code G80 which is a locking type.

Note that differential gears will also have different gear ratios. These will

With these definitions and basics, you can now dig deeper and learn more.

Be sure to keep on asking questions!

Last edited by christine_208; 09-13-2023 at 11:45 PM.