2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ongoing fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009 | 02:59 PM
|
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ongoing fuel problems

ill keep it as short as i can. i blew my fuel pump by swamping my 97 blazer. changed two chinese knockoff pumps niether would work. bought a delco one works great. im getting fuel to the motor but thats as far as it goes. when i push the pressure relief it sprays like crazy. i have goo spark when i dump gas in the throttle body. mabye a solinoid? a sensor? im totally stumped and really need help

Old 07-02-2009 | 06:04 AM
Shannon09 is on a distinguished road

If you want to fix it yourself you'll have to do some systematic troubleshooting to track down the problem, otherwise you will just be throwing money at it hoping to hit the bullseye. Buy a fuel pressure test gauge and start there 60-66 psi on the gauge with the engine CRANKING min. since you say it was "swamped" are all the ignition components dry ?
WD-40 the cap and rotor inside and out also the coil, coil wire, use only WD-40 not some other oily spray. Post back

Old 07-02-2009 | 07:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For specs on the fuel pressure test, check out the stickied thread at the top of the Tech Article (DIY) section and browse through the posted articles.

Old 07-02-2009 | 10:04 PM
|
Starting Member

everything is definatly dry. i did that about a month ago and the truck hasnt started since. i know the coil and distributor are okay because it fires up for a second if i pour gas in the throttle body. im goin to my cottage where it died tomorrow im going to buy a pressure tester. can someone tell me where the fuse for the fuel pump is on my truck? its not marked in the panel at the drivers door. also i cant find where the other end of the harness goes from my fuel pump

Old 07-02-2009 | 10:39 PM
Shannon09 is on a distinguished road

The fuel pump fuse and relay are in the black box under the hood (fuse and relay center) open it up and there are your fuses. The harness from the fuel pump goes a couple places but the wires for the fuel pump go to the fuel pump relay they might be hard wired straight there and a new harness would have to be spliced in. not sure on your year. fuel pump wires should be grey and black, the other ones are sending unit.
Yes getting a good test of the fuel pressure will help to determine where to look next.

Old 07-10-2009 | 11:21 AM
|
Starting Member

so finally tested the pressure and it was perfect. kinda thought the gas might have been sub par. jumped the relay and drained the tank. put fresh gas in and ran the pump till the new gas. huge difference in colour and smell. still no start. my mechanic is saying it could be poppet injectors. apparently they are problematic with my truck. i heard you can blow them through at a higher psi. anyone know something about how to go about that? apparently there is a kit to change the injectors. costs about 1000 im told. is it worth it? i found a whole intake manifold for a 100 im thinking its better to gamble on that

Old 07-10-2009 | 07:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would never install used injectors.

You can buy the updated MFI spider for ~$300 and you may need a new bracket to use it, but other than that, it is a drop in install. $1000 to do that is a rip off!
Here is a thread discussing the MFI spider:
Hard Starting - Fuel Pressure Concepts