2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Open Diff Out - Limited Slip In

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 07:57 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

At this point I still have not installed the limited slip diff yet, awaiting parts and bearing puller. I did finally determined exactly what this diff I got is though...not what I thought.
It is a Yukon Dura Grip limited slip; style with clutch packs on both axle drive gears.
I thought it was a GM positrac from a 70's Camaro...nope.
Anyways once I get the carrier bearings replaced, I will try again. Oh and I have removed the tone ring....it came off much easier than I thought it would.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:57 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
It is a Yukon Dura Grip limited slip; style with clutch packs on both axle drive gears.
I had one of those in my Dakota. It was actually a pretty good unit. It made some noises occasionally because it was a little "tighter" than a factory posii but, as long as that doesn't bother you, it should work great.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:55 PM

Thanks Tom....I doubt that I will ever stress this unit....not like I am going to be doing any serious off-roading...just do not want to get stuck in mud (should it actually ever rain here again!)....or loose sand/rocks.
I will still be on the streets for 99% of the time.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:39 AM

The bearing separator/puller I purchased arrived, but it was just too cheap to pull the bearing off. The aluminum puller was no match for the steel bearing cone....the aluminum just peeled. So I got out the trusty Dremel tool again, cut part-way through the bearing cone. Then used a cold chisel in the cut to crack the cone and each easily lifted off.
Also decided to get new clutch packs, which have arrived, along with new diff cover seal and a bottle of friction modifier.

I just need to either find a shop that will press the bearings on for me or try the "heat the bearings and slide them on" method.

Later

Old 11-12-2020, 10:10 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
I just need to either find a shop that will press the bearings on for me or try the "heat the bearings and slide them on" method.
Bearing and seal drivers work pretty well for installing them. If they have to go a little past flush, you can use the old bearing as a spacer to drive them that last little bit.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:25 AM

I saved both carrier bearing cones to use to drive the new bearings on......I did one yesterday using a heat gun to warm-up the bearing, then I was able to drive it onto the carrier pretty easily using the old cone, a flat square of 1/4" steel plate and a small hammer.

Will do the other one today, get the new clutch packs coated with friction modifier and then into the carrier. Getting the spring plate in is a bit of a challenge!.....then this weekend do the diff swap (again).

Old 11-13-2020, 09:53 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

The aftermarket unit that you have is so much better than a Gov-lock!! Good job on the carrier bearings. Where there is a will, there is a way. I can see how that would work.

Has the rear end been quiet lately with the old carrier again? Did you see any problem with the old carrier bearings on the posi carrier?

You know you can adjust the posi by using different tension springs???

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-13-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:12 PM

Hey Les;
Cutting the bearing cage and then cone with the Dremel was easy and only took 5-8 minutes for each one.
The open-diff rear end is as quiet now as it was, even being a bit tighter on the backlash.
I looked and looked at the old bearings on the Dura Grip, never did see anything wrong with them. I actually thinking that I did not have the bearings pre-loaded enough as I had the backlash at 0.009" instead of the 0.003 - 0.006" that I found it should be. If I replaced the bearings needlessly, oh well...such is life.

I have the stock 100 lb springs right now and going to see how they do. Yeah I could go to 200 lb springs....now you have me thinking again......

Last edited by LannyL81; 11-22-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:25 PM

Following what Yukon recommends, I got a bottle of their friction modifier and soaked the new clutch discs overnight. But HOLY CRAP!....the smell of that stuff is the worst!! I thought 90W gear lube had a bad smell....but this Yukon friction modifier....is horrible!!!!

I got the Dura Grip re-assembled....as far as I got....I needed fresh air. Next weekend I will do the swapping of ring gears and get the Dura Grip installed....

Did I mention how awful of a smell that Yukon friction modifier has.......

Old 11-24-2020, 06:50 PM

So I am a bit slow....but got the open diff out and the ring gear off today. Cleaning the red thread locker off the ring gear and bolts....this is taking time. I should be able to at least get the ring gear onto the Dura Grip diff tomorrow, perhaps back in the housing.....may be.

Quick Reply: Open Diff Out - Limited Slip In