2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Overheating

ORIGINAL: Hanr3
No, a cold air intake will not cause a water pump to fail, unless you messed with the serp belt.
Nope, didn't touch it. My mech and I did a more thorough inspection last night. It's not the water pump (I didn't realize that was one of the things he replaced the last time, and it's working fine). It is indeed one of the hoses, right beneath the AC. I can't wait to see what it looks like, once we pull it off tonight.

I'm thinking it's not the fact that the CAI was installed, but that I raced that Seville the other day. Since the hose has probably never been replaced, it was the weak spot in the cooling system.

(Edit 10/1/2007)

After further inspection over the weekend, we haven't found a leaky hose either. We replaced two cracked bolts in the engine block, but that still didn't stop the leak. We'll be looking at it again tonight. I'm wondering if this means it's almost time to replace the engine.

Three-fitty!

(Edit 10/2/2007)

Wow. It wasn't a hose either. Now he's saying it's the head gasket. However, he insists the engine is still in great condition and has a lot of miles left on it. He's getting me the performance upgrade instead of the stock one. I don't doubt he's telling the truth, because he has always been up-front with me, reasonable with cost, and doesn't mind if I watch what he's doing to learn the ropes. I am relieved that the engine's not on its last leg, 'cause I haven't saved up enough money yet to do an engine replacement. []

Old 09-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Trollst is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to wade into the dexcool argument, not to take a position either way, BUT I have been thru two heater core flushes after no heat at all, and a set of intake gaskets. Myblazer has never run hot and the gaskets came out looking like goo, something I have never before seen. After going green, I have yet to have a minutes trouble with the cooling system in any way. And for those who dont know, there is currently a very large class action suit against G.M. involving Dexcool and specific G.M. vehicles that are reputed to have problems with Dexcool. Now, having said that, my neighbours 95 blazer is running Dexcool and always has with no apparent problems, so who knows?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:57 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

and that class actiuon law suit has been going on for 5 years or better.

'00-143,000 and no trouble with my dexcool.
'03-78,000 and no trouble with decool.
'02-40,000 and no trouble with dexcool.
three gm's in my driveway haven't had any trouble with dexcool.

where people go wrong is thinking the cooling system doesn't need servicing.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

where people go wrong is thinking the cooling system doesn't need servicing.

This is mainly due to the fact that GM made statements back in the late 90's saying you dont have to TOUCH the coolant for 100k.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And we have a very long, very detailed thread discussing it... Please be courteous to the original poster and not derail this post further. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: GasCan
I'm going to replace the thermostat this weekend, hoping that's the culprit but any other input on this from someone who is more savvy than I on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if they have hints or info they can share in changing out a thermostat.
Gary, you should post again after you replace the thermostat, to let us know if that resolved the problem. I'm thinking you're right that that's the culprit, but it would be nice to know for sure. Thanks.

Raphael