2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

overheating, trans wont shift, low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM
PseudoKirby is on a distinguished road

my transmission was overheating and having trouble, I used lucasoils transmission conditioner and that helped substantially

Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 PM
ezs blazer is on a distinguished road

i had the some trouble and the rear seal n the trans was bad and alll my trans fluid was filling up n the tranfercase and leaking out the vent tube going down the downpipes smokein look like it overheated.just losing trans fluid

id check 4 leaks

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-02-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the help so far. My uncles buddy is a mechanic and owns a shop so im taking it in tmrw and hes gonna help me figure it out. I'll keep everyone posted!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by vortec bowtie
I'll show my Dad all this and have him help me. Im only 16 and this is confusing haha
hey don't feel bad. im 27, been working on motors since i was able to walk and i still get confused about this stuff hahaha. One good thing though, you started out with the newer motors instead of the older carburated motors.

but id say you're doing good, as long as you don't just throw money at it without troubleshooting.

Last edited by Senshi09; 08-03-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Maybe its my age, but I prefer the old carb motors. Didnt need a wiring diagram or computer to troubleshoot them!

Vortec - If you ever have the chance, if youre interested, Find and old carb motor that uses points and condensor. Drive it, tune it up, drive it, tune it up, drive it, tune it up. Notice a pattern? Every 3000-5000 miles not only were you changing the oil, but you had to adjust the points and adjust the carb maybe. If you adjusted the carb wrong, you had to clean the plugs and adjust the carb again.

Do that a few times and you will appreciate modern technology. Electronic ignition, and electronic fuel management has made everything much more reliable.

Oh yea! Almost forgot about the valve jobs at 20,000 - 30,000 miles!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Starting Member

finally took it to my uncles buddy, and he said that the new intake gasket that my autoshop teacher put on was on wrong, and its sucking in air. Hes gunna put on another new intake gasket for me. My question is, my auto shop teacher did the upper intake gasket like 3 months ago and i drove it everyday and it was fine, why did it start 3 months later?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:51 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Upper is between the plastic part and aluminum part of the intake, you sure he didn't do the lower gaskets? If he over torqued 'em that could do it. You tighten them 44 inch-pounds then 80 on the final pass, not the classic 35 foot-pounds on the old cast iron intakes.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Starting Member

Nope, he did the upper. maybe he did over torque them. Or is it possible that when it got hot it messed up the gasket?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt heat would mess up those gaskets (uppers). You'd have warped heads and blown head gaskets before it ever got THAT hot. I reread your original post, a vacuum leak could cause all of these codes. Kind of odd for all the O2 sensors trip simultaneously. If your uncles friend has a scanner that can monitor data I'd suggest disconnecting at least one of the sensor plugs and jumping it as per the diagnostic procedures to see if it's a power or ground problem.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Starting Member

so I learned what you guys were all saying, guessing is expensive. my uncles buddy insisted it was the MAF sensor, so he replaced it and that didnt do the trick. I took the truck to someone else my dad knos, whos been a mechanic for 15 years, and he drove it to see what i meant, and he said hes 100% positive its the fuel pump. Does this seem like it could be the problem? Id hate to spend 600 bucks and that not fix the problem. I really still feel like theres a short or a bad o2 sensor, but he says hes positive its the pump.. he said he pressure tested it and it dropped to like 30 lbs

Quick Reply: overheating, trans wont shift, low oil pressure