2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

p0300

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

See if you can find the Autolite wires I mentioned in post #4.

The PCM continuously monitors the crankshaft position sensor data stream. If it were to fail, even intermittently, a DTC would set in memory and the SES light would come on.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Beginning Member
scottytink is on a distinguished road

well, I did the delco switch with the autolites, no change in how the truck runs and no change in the ses light. still comes on. I'm friends with the previous owner, never had a p0300 problem, he did a tune up when he put that motor in with new gaskets, injectors, and all delco tune up parts.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Low fuel pressure and incorrect camshaft retard can both cause P0300. Check fuel pressure and leakdown. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running, pressure must be 60psi to 66psi and must remain above 55psi for 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Also check camshaft retard and adjust if necessary. Should be zero degrees + or - 2 degrees.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Beginning Member

the next thing im trying is goin to be cleaning my crank sensor since its covered in oil, and replacing it as well as my cam sensor

Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM

Not too fast there..... if the crank sensor is moved, removed, or replaced, the crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be performed with a capable scan tool. The ones the auto parts stores use will NOT access it.

Same thing with the camshaft position sensor... if the distributor is moved, removed or replaced, camshaft retard MUST be checked/adjusted.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member

as far as i know when the distr gear was done the retard was never checked

Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Checking fuel pressure and leakdown is something you can do yourself. Very easy and takes about 15 minutes. The results will tell if the fuel delivery system is working properly. Most auto parts stores rent, loan, sell, whatever, pressure testers. They usually run about $40 for a decent one. As for the camshaft retard, you'll most likely have to take it to a shop that is familiar with the adjustment procedure. Labor charge is usually somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes, depends how good they are

Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member

so what is going to be involved replaced the crank sensor

Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM

You will need to perform the crankshaft position sensor relearn with a capable scan tool.
The sensor must be calibrated properly so the PCM "knows" exactly where the crankshaft is in its rotation. This is "ground zero" for the PCM much like cam retard needs to be correct along with the throttle position sensor. They all have to be set correctly for the PCM to make accurate adjustments to fuel mixture, ignition timing, injector timing, etc etc.

If the relearn is not performed, the engine will still most likely start and run, however, the PCM will use the data from the old crank sensor relearn which will be incorrect data. All adjustments that the PCM makes will be based on incorrect data..... junk in, junk out.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member

I'm goin to replace the cam first then maybe the crank

Quick Reply: p0300