2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0420 Code Help,

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Beginning Member
poertsch is on a distinguished road
Default P0420 Code Help,

Hallo to everybody. I have a problem with the Code Number as shown in the Title.
I want to tell you something first. I was importing 11.06.2006 this Blazer S10 from Miami to Germany. I starting to pimp my car. Ok. At that time i was seen that my Catalytic converter makes a loud noise. So i realize that the ceramic inlet was broken. Si i was replace it with an After Market Converter. From this date till to now i only driving about 16000ml. I only drive him at summer. So last year i seen always the engine light would lighten up. I was checking the codes and starting to replace all Oxygen Sensors. Ordering from Rock Auto. Also replace all Spark plugs. I was change also the ignition coil. And the ignition wire. But the light will always back on.

So the symptom is in normal drive all seems fine. But i living at place where i have to drive up hill. So then i feel he lost power and after a while he starting stuttering and the light getting blinking.

My question is could it be that my catalytic converter is totally defect and he would be the reason for all my Problems. As i remember the original Converter was very big and the after market much smaller. Could it be that i have to get an new one. If so witch one i can order. Because at the moment i cant driver with more power because i have anxiety that my Blazer getting an bigger defect.

I hope that maybe an profi could help me out in my Problem.

Thanks so much Poertsch

Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

You could try driving it without a converter, just to see if it still acts the same without it.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:59 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by poertsch
Hallo to everybody. I have a problem with the Code Number as shown in the Title.
I want to tell you something first. I was importing 11.06.2006 this Blazer S10 from Miami to Germany. I starting to pimp my car. Ok. At that time i was seen that my Catalytic converter makes a loud noise. So i realize that the ceramic inlet was broken. Si i was replace it with an After Market Converter. From this date till to now i only driving about 16000ml. I only drive him at summer. So last year i seen always the engine light would lighten up. I was checking the codes and starting to replace all Oxygen Sensors. Ordering from Rock Auto. Also replace all Spark plugs. I was change also the ignition coil. And the ignition wire. But the light will always back on.

So the symptom is in normal drive all seems fine. But i living at place where i have to drive up hill. So then i feel he lost power and after a while he starting stuttering and the light getting blinking.

My question is could it be that my catalytic converter is totally defect and he would be the reason for all my Problems. As i remember the original Converter was very big and the after market much smaller. Could it be that i have to get an new one. If so witch one i can order. Because at the moment i cant driver with more power because i have anxiety that my Blazer getting an bigger defect.

I hope that maybe an profi could help me out in my Problem.

Thanks so much Poertsch
The P0420 indicates that the rear O2 sensor is not seeing the normal delay of rich/lean sensor readings after exhaust goes through the converter. It compares the cycling of voltages for front O2 sensor to cycling of voltages for rear O2 sensor. If no other codes and you have new O2 sensors, then almost 100% that your converter is bad. You can read more here:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagno...plained-19820/

However, the light blinking and loss of power sounds like a misfire (P030x code should have been set). Driving with this misfire will be the cause of the damaged catalytic converter.

So it seems you have two problems, one of which caused the other one. Must put the converter on AND fix the misfire. If you just put a converter on the vehicle, same thing will happen again in not so much time.

Misfire is usually much more difficult to diagnose, but we can help if you are willing to get a capable OBD2 scanner to read certain live data (specifically cam sensor retard PID and live misfire counters). Also you will need a multimeter and a fuel pressure gauge.

You can go ahead and start by putting another aftermarket catalytic converter on again with confidence. Don't worry - it wasn't the fault of the converter. It will need a new converter to run correctly. Damaged converter was the end result of other problems.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-08-2017 at 03:17 PM.