2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0440

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:09 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

If the hose is bad you can just lower the tank. If the plastic insert in the tank is broken or if the fitting is broken then the tank needs to be dropped to replace it.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
jorge1 is on a distinguished road

Well i stuck a mirror so i could see above the vent and i could see that the little pipe where you insert the hose is not there. So ill pick up that part friday and install it and see what happens then. Thanks

Old 10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it is just the little fitting in the front of the tank, you should be able to get the old one out and the new one back in with just dropping the tank down a little. If the hose runs to the fuel pump assembly in the center of the tank and is snapped off there, then that is a completely different story.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

just got done doing the front vent on my 94 4 door. make sure when you put in the new one you push it all the way down before you turn it.it should turn by hand,if it isn't seated it will still leak maybe even worse. had to do mine twice because i have a masters degree in t&e (trial and error). good luck.also when you put on the new piece of hose to the vent make it about 12 inches long, that makes it harder to break the vent next time the tamk is down. just when you raise the gastank make sure not to pinch the hose between the body and the tank.

Last edited by jigger; 10-28-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: one more tip
Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 PM

So i just finished dropping the tank and putting on the new vent valve. I made shure it was seated but is there a perticular way is suppose to be pointing and turning it was alittle more of a 1/4 turn only, the pipe went from pointing to the passenger side turning to the right almost facing the chassie . And Thanks for every ones Help Hopefully That was the cure.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

It should face forward towards the front.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Okay so far iv been driving around and the service light has not come on. but now as i drive i could feel the gas in the tank moving around is this normal? is this due to the vent?. I know it did it on my 01 Monte Carlo.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 AM

Well after two days of driving the code came back. Before the light just remained on now it will turn on and off after about 40 or so miles of driving. The shop said to change my fuel pump cause my fuel level guage jumps around is this possiable that this is the problem or is one of my solinods working and not working at times, if so which should i change first the front or back? Friday i will be droping it off to have a smoke test on it i dont want to hear an excuse about the fuel pump unless this could be the issue and have me buy a pump for nothing.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:13 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

DID THAT TOO! SEEMS LIKE IF YOU DROP THE TANK ALL THE WAY DOWN THE FUEL PUMP DOESN'T LAST TOO MUCH LONGER. MAYBE THATS JUST MY LUCK. ANY WHO IF IT IS THE FUEL PUMP AND YOU GET AFTER MARKET MAKE SURE YOU GET A NEW TANK SEAL( THE o-RING), A NEW FILTER SOCK (ABOUT 5 BUCKS), AND THE WIRE HARNESS THINGIE (VERY IMPORTANT). GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 PM

okay so they did the smoke test no leaks. but he said its my fuel tank pressure senser cuz of one of the test he performed was to remove the gas cap to test the pressure and its suppose to be 0. with out the gas cap but mines was reading 0.29 anyone have any insite on this? To me 0.29 seems small i would understand 1. but 0.29

Quick Reply: P0440