2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P301 Cylinder 1 Misfire- New plug,wire, and cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The only possible problem with that, is IF #1 is actually misfiring, and you induce another cylinder misfire, the PCM is liable to set P0300, (multiple cylinder misfire). You could spot it if your scan tool shows individual cylinder misfire data. Other than that, crankshaft sensor relearn data and camshaft retard need to be correct.
The original poster said the has the Torque App and that the engine does not seem to miss. I can attest that Torque Pro ($4.95) with the GM enhanced PIDs will monitor misfire counts on each individual cylinder. However he will have to learn how to add them to the live display so he can look at all 6 cylinders at the same time. Its a pretty cool little app but still it can't view CMP Retard Offset or trigger the Crank Sensor Relearn Procedure. I had to go to much more expensive software and a laptop to get these features.

Les

Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by red1127
How do I induce a misfire?

Im thinking I should wipe my obd codes,
Induce a misfire on of the other cylinders and see if it reads it correctly, then see if it reads it on cylinder 1 as well.
Yes, you are seeing exactly what I am saying. As I implied in my original post, pulling a plug wire from the cap works to induce a miss - but be sure to give the spark a place to go by grounding that distributor terminal. Your Torque App will work fine if it is the Pro version.

Here it is on my tablet as a custom-configured live display. Note the tablet is not connected to the car so no data is showing. Includes vehicle speed, engine RPM, manifold vacuum, TCC slip, all three O2 sensors (with fuel trim on two), coolant temp, manifold air temp, and the 6 misfire counters. Note you will need a pretty good bluetooth adapter or the updates will be very slow with all this data monitored. I find the BAFX Products Bluetooth adapter on Amazon works OK. Most of the rest of the Chinese OBD2 adapter clones are junk and have very slow refresh rates. My BAFX will do around 20/sec (remember this is split between all of the data). Another clone I bought from Amazon (a WIFI one for use with my iPhone) was 3/sec which makes it pretty much unuseable for monitoring data. The bi-directional hardwired USB adapter that comes with HP Tuners software is lightning speed in comparison to either one. Still the Torque app pretty slick for what It can do and it looks very professional.

Attached Thumbnails P301 Cylinder 1 Misfire- New plug,wire, and cap-screenshot_2015-01-03-19-22-27_zps5267c5e9.jpg  

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-03-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM
screwdriver is on a distinguished road

a bad injector can also cause a misfire.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by screwdriver
a bad injector can also cause a misfire.
That's exactly the reason for post #4. Oxygen sensor data would spot a lean mixture, or rich. Having that data at least narrows the playing field of possible problems.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
That's exactly the reason for post #4. Oxygen sensor data would spot a lean mixture, or rich. Having that data at least narrows the playing field of possible problems.
I agree with the Captain, he knows what he's talking about.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by hubert hefner
I agree with the Captain, he knows what he's talking about.
Yes, he certainly does! My point is that one should verify the misfire is real before attempting to diagnose it. In this case, with the Torque app, all can be watched at once.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-03-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Beginning Member
red1127 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jkyle187
yes I would still clean the MAF unit. I also wrapped the new coil wire and 1,3 & 5(at the cap to the hold down clip) wire in wire loom because the coil wire touches places and will arch in time and 1,3 &5 cross each other and will arch in time.

Tightened everything around the TPI and the MAF sensor yesterday. Service engine light went off this morning after I started it up.

I think that was the issue. Thanks a ton!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Beginning Member
8baller is on a distinguished road

how do i reset my crankshaft sensor

Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
8baller is on a distinguished road

Also how do i get plug 3 out from behind the steering column

Old 09-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Crankshaft position sensor relearn can only be done with a bi-directional scan tool.

Disconnect the steering shaft from the gearbox, and move the shaft out of your way. Remove the bolt just below the rag joint, and pry the shaft rearward until it disengages the gearbox. DO NOT move the steering wheel while the shaft is disconnected.

Quick Reply: P301 Cylinder 1 Misfire- New plug,wire, and cap