2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Parking brake assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road
Default Parking brake assembly

Howdy,
It came the moment for me to replace the parking shoes and fix the parking brake (yeah, car annual survey next month). In general, I had a worn shoes that did not expand well so I barely had some "braking" efficiency. Today I took a closer look to the mechanism and it does not seem it is a self-adjusting one, but just a locking spring.

I've applied a new shoe, adjusted the mechanism so that the rear drum fits snug over the brake shoe and tried the brake. Drum still loose...
At a closer look I've found, that the link was loose, so half-way it was not pulling the lever at all. I've tightened the link (a bracket at a driver's side by the frame)

A next try with a tightened link it was OK, but only for a first time. With an every next try, the lever was slowly pulled out of the expanding mechanism...

The front surface of the lever has a dimple, same as the cap, that is being pushed:

I wonder... Maybe there should be some sort of a pin, that would go into the lever's dimple and lock it? Like I've marked below with a green color?

Or - in other words - what locks / prevents the lever from being pulled out?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:16 AM

OK, found it. Even this very forum:

So, it's the "tappet" (8). Could anyone post the dimension? I guess I have to make it my self...

Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 AM

...an hour and half of "banging the drum" (that really stuck) on the other side and I have it

Diameter 0.195"/ 4.90mm
Overall length 0.79" / 20mm
End radius around 50 mils/ 1.5mm

Old 08-21-2018, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Boy, this reminds me of my struggles with the parking brake, excuse me "Park Brake" as GM calls it.

I was pretty sure I saw that on mine there was a ratcheting mechanism with the lever at the back-plate that was pulled by the cable.

Here's the scans from my 1999 manual regarding the Park Brake, shoe and cable adjustment in case you might find them useful.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brakes, Park all_co.pdf (2.03 MB, 109 views)
Old 08-21-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
Boy, this reminds me of my struggles with the parking brake, excuse me "Park Brake" as GM calls it.

I was pretty sure I saw that on mine there was a ratcheting mechanism with the lever at the back-plate that was pulled by the cable.

Here's the scans from my 1999 manual regarding the Park Brake, shoe and cable adjustment in case you might find them useful.
Did I mention we're doing same thing, but You're always few steps ahead of me...? LOL
We used to call it an "emergency brake" in Poland. I remember, when I was a newbie driver I had a caliper piston stuck once. I've boiled brake fluid and when I've attempted to stop, the pedal went into the floor. An emergency brake saved me that time. I don't want tempting the fate with my Blazer, so I better have it fixed. Besides, this summer I went for a trip to mountains and while parking Blazer on a steep slopes I had that bad feelings....

The mechanism I have is exactly as on the posted picture, no ratchet of any kind, no self-adjusting mechanisms (pity, all my previous cars had it). But I have a regular, stock rear axle (yet), without Eaton LSD like You, so maybe that makes the difference..?
Thanks for Your feedback, handy engineering data as always I have to suspend my job for several days, as the left cable is damaged and won't slide inside the cracked jacket. Just placed an ebay order for another one.

A good news is I've assembled a 2" wheel spacers and they're bulls eye match. Here, the law regulations do not permit any part of the car to be sticking out of the body contour, and it's a maximum You can get and still be on a safe side. Actually these regulations are a long story subject....

Old 08-21-2018, 03:01 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Did I mention we're doing same thing, but You're always few steps ahead of me...? LOL
We used to call it an "emergency brake" in Poland. I remember, when I was a newbie driver I had a caliper piston stuck once. I've boiled brake fluid and when I've attempted to stop, the pedal went into the floor. An emergency brake saved me that time. I don't want tempting the fate with my Blazer, so I better have it fixed. Besides, this summer I went for a trip to mountains and while parking Blazer on a steep slopes I had that bad feelings....

The mechanism I have is exactly as on the posted picture, no ratchet of any kind, no self-adjusting mechanisms (pity, all my previous cars had it). But I have a regular, stock rear axle (yet), without Eaton LSD like You, so maybe that makes the difference..?
Thanks for Your feedback, handy engineering data as always I have to suspend my job for several days, as the left cable is damaged and won't slide inside the cracked jacket. Just placed an ebay order for another one.

A good news is I've assembled a 2" wheel spacers and they're bulls eye match. Here, the law regulations do not permit any part of the car to be sticking out of the body contour, and it's a maximum You can get and still be on a safe side. Actually these regulations are a long story subject....
Yes, we used to call parking brakes "emergency brakes" too. Although I think we are dating ourselves by using that terminology. LOL Similarly, when I refer to regular Coke with sugar as "high-octane, leaded" my students look at me funny. LOL

I was concerned over my parking brake because of worries of sliding down the boat-launch ramp. The idea of my truck rolling down into the water was scary to me, hence my interest in understanding those brakes.

I haven't looked at my parking brakes for a while but I thought the spring/pawl on the adjuster could act like a self-adjuster with the adjuster rotating a bit when the brake was engaged.

Testing my parking brake.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
Yes, we used to call parking brakes "emergency brakes" too. Although I think we are dating ourselves by using that terminology. LOL Similarly, when I refer to regular Coke with sugar as "high-octane, leaded" my students look at me funny. LOL

I was concerned over my parking brake because of worries of sliding down the boat-launch ramp. The idea of my truck rolling down into the water was scary to me, hence my interest in understanding those brakes.

I haven't looked at my parking brakes for a while but I thought the spring/pawl on the adjuster could act like a self-adjuster with the adjuster rotating a bit when the brake was engaged.

Testing my parking brake.
High octane, leaded, huh? Amongst the seamen we used to say "heavy fuel" for spirits
I got the feeling You might have a same brake assembly as I do... The spring/pawl set is to prevent pushrod from turning around, not for a self-adjustment. On the other hand the brake shoes do not worn off quickly, as the lining work static, so not a big deal.
Except - for me - while survey they may want to see if the parking brake works evenly on both sides.

P.S. I've omitted somehow a drifting purpose of an emergency brake. Awesome feature for a stick driven RWD in a wintertime Oh, wait, Blazers are RWD!
But this brake assembly we got in Blazers... I can hardly imagine drifting on it. LOL