2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Part sourcing - Cruise control Vacuum Ball

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 11:26 AM
Beginning Member
SuperComp2766 is on a distinguished road
Default Part sourcing - Cruise control Vacuum Ball

My 2000 Blazer cruise control will not work. The dealer has traced it to the ball and it will not hold vacuum. The problem is the part is no longer available from GM, nor aftermarket, according to him. Anyone know where I could find a used one?

Old 01-28-2021, 11:31 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

eBay or bone yard.

George

Old 01-28-2021, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
eBay or bone yard.

George
Ebay didn't have one. I am searching used parts now. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:13 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

You can use one off of anything. On old Fords, they used to made out of soup cans from the factory, lol.

Any reason you don't want to buy a new one? Dorman 47077

Last edited by Tom A; 01-28-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:16 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Cruise control used vacuum? That doesn't sound right to me.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Cruise control used vacuum? That doesn't sound right to me.
Funny, I didn't even think of that. You're absolutely right.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

This thread sucks. lol.

:-/

George

Old 01-28-2021, 01:33 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
You can use one off of anything. On old Fords, they used to made out of soup cans from the factory, lol.

Any reason you don't want to buy a new one? Dorman 47077

According to the parts lookup it says it will not fit. I guess it could be rigged up somehow. You know how dealerships are, they want to put the exact part on it. I am actually surprised. The shop I deal with that seems fairly good thought it was an electrical problem, but when I called the dealer they seemed to know exactly what to look for, and turns out they were right. It also controls the heat ducts below the dash. This is the first day they have started looking. I will see what they turn up, since I have had no luck finding a used one. I have a ton sunk in this thing because I mistakenly thought the miss in the motor was electronic, but turned out to be bad valves and cam. Then had to put all new brakes, and suspension pieces on it. So my $1000 Blazer has turned into an $8000 one.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:30 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
This thread sucks. lol.

:-/

George

Old 01-28-2021, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by SuperComp2766
According to the parts lookup it says it will not fit. I guess it could be rigged up somehow. You know how dealerships are, they want to put the exact part on it. I am actually surprised. The shop I deal with that seems fairly good thought it was an electrical problem, but when I called the dealer they seemed to know exactly what to look for, and turns out they were right. It also controls the heat ducts below the dash. This is the first day they have started looking. I will see what they turn up, since I have had no luck finding a used one. I have a ton sunk in this thing because I mistakenly thought the miss in the motor was electronic, but turned out to be bad valves and cam. Then had to put all new brakes, and suspension pieces on it. So my $1000 Blazer has turned into an $8000 one.
Perhaps a fresh start is appropriate.

What symptoms are you experiencing?
Are all your systems working fine except for the cruise control? In what way is your cruise control not working?
Failure point in the cruise control system can be the physical connection to the throttle (breaking), the cruise control module in the engine compartment, or a malfunction of multi-function switch on your steering column.

Is your HVAC system working appropriately? In these Blazers where the air flow is directed controlled by vacuum actuators. A very common problem is that the hoses under the hood that supply the vacuum can rot and leak. (See a link in my signature file) The vacuum storage container seldom is the issue.

Finally, our cruise control systems are all electronic with no vacuum interface. You have either misunderstood your mechanic, they did not explain it well, or they don't know what they are talking about.

And as for dealers, 10 years ago I dropped my then 11 y.o. Blazer at the local dealer to fix my parking break. When I got it back, it worked worse. For vehicles out of warranty, they do not always know what they are doing.

Long story short, they did not even know how to properly adjust the brake shoes even with the access to the official service manuals. I then had to spend an afternoon working out how they worked on my own the following weekend. Later when I got a copy of the official service manuals I found that I was correct.

Quick Reply: Part sourcing - Cruise control Vacuum Ball