2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Passenger CV Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009 | 06:16 PM
|
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passenger CV Leaking???..... Help! Plz

Alrighty everyone i came home today from being in virginia for 3 days (my truck has been sitting at my house for 3 days not being used) and underneath the truck on the passenger side was a little puddle of dif fluid, i know this because i changed it about 5 months ago and i clearly remember the smell. Anyways i got underneath and i can see where it is leaking. I took some pics. 1st thing what do you think is leaking? how much money is it to repair? and is it something that i shouldnt drive on because i plan on driving from NC to NY on friday and im coming home like a week later so in total its like 1000 mile trip; can it last?
P.s. i did a seach but wanted to make sure and get your guys opinon first.
Thanks so much

Last edited by cr8390; 05-10-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2009 | 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is just a lip seal leak. Not too expensive of a part, but a shop will probably charge 2-3 hours of labor to change it. You basically have to remove the front CV shaft, pry out the seal, then squarely drive the new seal in.

Old 05-10-2009 | 07:52 PM
|

not to bother but how hard is this? i read that you have to remove the cv shaft but i dont know if i should just attempt this my self or get a shop to do it

Old 05-11-2009 | 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Removing the CV shaft can be a pain. It is not all that difficult to get out of the bearing provided it is not rusted in there. The easiest way to do this is to remove the bearing, then the axle shaft. The shaft can be a pain to get out of the diff. They stick pretty good and often require a 2x4 and 5lb hammer to coax them out. From there it is pretty straight forward.

Old 05-11-2009 | 10:44 AM
|

thanks alot kyle i got it looked at the morning there charging me $150 dollars 2 replace it. I figured id just get it done considering i have a big trip on friday and dont wanna risk screwing anything up myself i reall appreciate your time and once again you saved me lol Ill let u know the outcome when there done

Old 05-11-2009 | 05:04 PM
|

alrighty got it back from the shop they said it was the seal and the output shaft bearing? charged me $225.50 does output shaft bearing be something that could have had anything 2 do with the leak?

Old 05-11-2009 | 05:10 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. At least they were able to repair yours. On my '05 nobody wants to work on emh
had to have a reman front diff installed. $2600

Old 05-11-2009 | 05:14 PM
|

oo dam that sucks well now im happy i got it fixed

Old 05-11-2009 | 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Is it thread jacking if the problem has been resolved...?
If so I will move this, but I believe this is the same problem.
Pics to illustrate.
Is this a rear lip seal? This pig has been blowing grease for a little while, and driving it dry probably isn't in my best interest. Is this the same deal?

Also, that castoff grease wont cause any problems to the... pitman arm... ? in front of the cv joint that is catching all the grease?

Attached Thumbnails Passenger CV Leaking-1.jpg   Passenger CV Leaking-2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009 | 09:43 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Not the same problem ABN31B. Youre leaking green CV grease, which should be sealed. cr8390's problem is the seal where the CV joins to the diff shaft, which leaks gear oil.

Kinda weird youre losing CV grease at only 88k miles though...

Quick Reply: Passenger CV Leaking