2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

please help 01 blazer extreme emmission problems???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:34 PM
slmedgmc is on a distinguished road
Default please help 01 blazer extreme emmission problems???

just bought an 01 blazer extreme, with 106000 on the speedo, nice truck , till i got it home. went to go to work the other morning and it started making a ticking noise, thought it was a blown donut gasket on the y pipe, not the problem, it turns out there is some emmissions crap under the front of the motor where 3 rubber hoses come into a t then up to the lower core support area. the t had melted from exhaust heat i guess, so i replaced it, it lasted 20min, what now?? does anybody know what this crap is for can i bypass it . the noise is very irritating and it make my blazer sound like a clunker please help....

Old 08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

One or both of the check valves in the AIR (air injection reaction) system has failed and is allowing exhaust gasses too far back in the system. You need to replace the failed check valve before replacing the 'T'. The only reason for the 'T' to melt is a failed check valve. If you leave the 'T' out and start the engine, which ever side is pushing exhaust gasses out is the side that needs to have the check valve replaced.

The AIR system is (in theory) there to prolong the life and increase the efficiency of the catalytic converter. The stock PCM runs periodic checks to verify that the system is operational and sets codes corresponding to any faults that it detects. Federal law prohibits the modification/removal/defeating of any emissions system. With that said, someone with the right programming equipment can lock out the codes for the AIR system, thereby facilitating the option of removing the system.