2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

please help asap

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
engbulldog is on a distinguished road
Default please help asap

hello guys and gals , new to the board and in need of some help
1. I own a 1998 GMC jimmy 4x4 sle, 4dr
bought if from my parents so I could store my summer ride during the winter, last week before work I started it up and seen that no gauges worked for about 10 sec then all was fine, started to drive it and it would not shift out of second , called a pal and he tells me to unhook the battery for a hr to reset the ecm, he said it went into a reduced power mode, he came over a few days later to scan the codes, had an LF wheel speed sensor open (knew that) the other codes were gone do dis-connect of battery, last night @ 11pm in the rain the jimmy did the same thing , hence dis connect battery for hr. and drove the beast home what is causing the mystery problem, I dont have a tech 2 to scan the codes and the dudes at auto zone couldn't butter bread let alone tell me what code it is ?? thanks in advance

Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

ignition switch.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Im taking a shot at this check your tps sensor.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Is the security light on?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
Is the security light on?
no just the service engine, and my ABS (which I know about)
my friend is saying it might be a corroded wire behind the right kick pad, note the jimmy has 196 k on it

Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Gotta pull the DTC's and post them. I agree with Diaita on the possibility of a faulty ignition switch. This link will help in diagnosis: https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-33465/

Disconnecting the battery, for any length of time, will not "reset" or clear any DTC's from the memory files, (pending, current & history) basically it's a waste of time. It will turn the SES light off only if there are no current hard faults present.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Gotta pull the DTC's and post them. I agree with Diaita on the possibility of a faulty ignition switch. This link will help in diagnosis: https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-33465/

Disconnecting the battery, for any length of time, will not "reset" or clear any DTC's from the memory files, (pending, current & history) basically it's a waste of time. It will turn the SES light off only if there are no current hard faults present.
thanks for the help, waiting for my buddy to come over and scan it for me

Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM

ok went to autozone and picked up a Duralast ignition switch parnt # ls948 I hope this is what causing the problem any diagrams out there on how to install this?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by engbulldog
ok went to autozone and picked up a Duralast ignition switch parnt # ls948 I hope this is what causing the problem any diagrams out there on how to install this?
https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...-method-36967/

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...acement-29167/

Last edited by burned; 12-10-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added another link
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by engbulldog
What DTC's are in memory?

Did you diagnose the ignition switch as being bad, or are you guessing/hoping?

Quick Reply: please help asap