2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

PO446 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Beginning Member
ChevyguySS68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PO446 Problem

Ok before anyone gets mad and yells at me to search regarding the endless EVAP vent valve posts, i did and they were all very helpful. except like always my truck likes to be the special one that does not go along the main stream. I replaced my EVAP vent valve with the part from rock auto (who are great btw) and cleared the code and the SES light went out. ok so no problem right?....wrong. about 2 weeks later on my way to work at around 6am i let the truck warm up for about 5 mins with the remote start and about 3 minutes into my trip the SES light comes on again. I had to sit at work all day and ponder what it could be because i didnt have my scanner with me like i had the week before to clear the code every other day. but i got home and sure enough it was PO446 and PO446PD(pending), lucky me. i got under the truck and made sure both the electrical connection and the hose were on there good and they were. so i put this question out there to the experts (probably kyle), what can cause the PO446 to keep occuring when i have already replaced the part, does the solenoid up front cause the same code to pop? could my mud/4x4 adventures maybe clogged up a vent line to the gas tank? i dunno, im really hoping i dont have to drop the tank because i have been taking advantage of filling it as often as possible with the gas being so cheap (i havent seen my 'low fuel' light in weeks). so gurus, help me out please! thanks in advance guys -tim

Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: PO446 Problem

P0446 Explained
I just fixed the above article as it was cutoff by a server error a while back.

Too bad much of the diagnostics require a Tech2 or equivalent high feature scan tool to perform.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member

thank you sir, i knew you would come through. i used to have a snap on mt2500 scanner but all of my prom chips and cartridges took an oil bath so i sold it back to the snap on guy for cost. i think im just going to play replace that part. i was under the impression if the gas cap was bad i would pop a po442 code, but my plastic hanging strap broke on the cap a while back and thats been annoying me so maybe this is the excuse to get a new one and see if it is in fact an inproper seal. i might also drop the tank and replace some of the vent lines and if all else fails ill replace the carbon canister and the front solenoid if i get motivated enough. its just a pain now because the NYS inspections are done via OBDII scan now and this code is coming up daily so its going to be hard to keep it from coming on or atleast showing itself in the history and thus costing me who knows how much in labor for the morons at the shop to try and "diagnose" the problem and still scratch their head with no results and still expect to be paid. i tell ya the newer the car you work on the less of a mechanic you have to be and the more a computer or software engineer, its crazy.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Very true. That is why I am restoring my Chevelle and Blazer! LOL Hopefully you find the problem without bleeding your wallet dry.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member

you called it on that one. i just welded my new outer wheel wells in today on the camaro, it makes me yern for a simpler time when cars were just made up of the 3 main systems and you could tell what was wrong with it with a trained ear, not a freakin scanner. ahh too bad i wasnt even born in those times. a sbc v-8 swap with a 700 holley carb is looking mighty tempting right now, if only it wouldnt screw me for inspections...