2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Possible ground issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 PM
Nola 77 is on a distinguished road
Default Edit to 4wd issues

Well unfortunately ive gotten nowhere with this holidays came and went and i have too many other repairs to make that don't involve being crammed between the engine and the fire wall

Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Why don't you just add a new ground wire from engine to firewall where you can easily reach?

Old 12-29-2018, 01:20 PM
BIG A is on a distinguished road

Always be nice !!!

Old 12-29-2018, 04:40 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WalkGood
Why don't you just add a new ground wire from engine to firewall where you can easily reach?
The grounds he is working on isn't as simple as just grounding the body to the engine, they run inside to ground internal circuits and such. Gm in their eternal wisdom grounded them to the back of the engine heads and a real PIA to get too.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:37 AM
Starting Member

Okay I understand. Adding a ground from engine to firewall (and frame too) won't hurt. Then a new ground from other end of individual circuit in question can be made too. Might solve the problem.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WalkGood
Okay I understand. Adding a ground from engine to firewall (and frame too) won't hurt. Then a new ground from other end of individual circuit in question can be made too. Might solve the problem.
I tell You what. A friend of mine has a '95 Blazer. His ride was serviced by his own colleague, a "skilled mechanic". Once upon a time the engine quit on the road and they were unable to make it running again for over 3 months. His colleague was swearing there is the spark and fuel, but it's not just starting. I take a terribly wrong decision asking my friend to tow his Chevy to my house, so maybe I could help him. Believe me, this person made so many temporary fixes, that after all they were unable to guess what could be wrong. The only option was to sit and cry...
I have seen:
- additional grounding wires (they claimed that without them the starter is not cranking), but in fact the starter was gone. I could figure it out after I've replaced a sized battery, that had around 0.3V and was about to blow while charging
- they said they see the spark on the plug terminals, but they used a short type of a different spark plugs. So short, that the plug terminals were half way the thread. The spark energy measurement? "LOL how do You do that?"
- a high voltage wires caps were torn, and the distributor top cover was all loose due to oversized screws that broke off the tabs so it had been a temporary fixed
- I couldn't get the fuel pump running, but after all they told me, they used one of the dash switches as a kill switch, while the engine runs on LPG (in fact, the LPG installation should switch over by a set of electrovalves). The wire to a fuel pump was resembling a telephone wire... Then I've spotted the pump. Not into the tank, but attached by a zip ties underneath the floor of a back seat. Of an unknown type, pressure....
Nah. that time I gave up. That was first time in my life I have seen such a mess.
Long story short - a friendly advice - temporary is only allowed, when You want to confirm Your troubleshooting. Right after, clear temporary things and do it right way.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:09 AM
Starting Member

That sure does sound like a mess. But none of that is the same as an added ground wire.

Happy New Year.