2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Possible thrown rod and weighing my options

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Starting Member
Klturi421 is on a distinguished road
Default Possible thrown rod and weighing my options

Tonight I just fired up my '00 blazer for the first time in a few months, I decided to try and find out where the knock in my engine was coming from. Based on what I heard it sounds like its a thrown rod. In this case what's the best thing I can do? What can I expect?

I'm trying to stay hopeful but so far I am thinking worst case scenario. I have this feeling that I'm going to crack the block open and see a horrible mess. I'm almost expecting to see my walls scratch to heck and I'm almost expecting that the crankshaft is probably damaged.

Can anyone maybe put a sliver of hope in my day and give me some knowledge that I can use? Is my engine salvageable?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

your engine might be salvageable. but do you have a Knock, or have you thrown a rod? those are actually two different things in my book. a knock would be like if you lost the bearing and not its beating the crap out of just the crankshaft. throwing a rod would be messing up everything in there, cylinder walls, oil pan windage tray, crankshaft, everything. and if you throw one bad enough, you could then "window" the block. basically just end up with a giant hole in the side.....

anyway, if you have a knock, you can more than likely save it. my recommendation would be to get it out and take it to a good engine shop. you will at the very least need to tear the whole thing down, clean everything, get new rod bearings, main bearings, and cam bearings, head gaskets, ect. i would also change the oil pump.... just some added "insurance" i guess you could say. so thats on the light side of it.

if you threw a rod, you could need a crank, oil pan, maybe even a new block altogether. and then all thats stated above plus some more.

so thats pretty much where you stand.