2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Beginning Member
JZRALNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Power Windows

2000 Chevy Blazer
4WD
4.3 Litre
2 Door
134,988 mi.

About two years ago I replaced the power window motor in the drivers-side door. A couple months ago the window ceased to work yet again. My mechanic had my Blazer to replace the radiator, so I asked him to check out the window (since he is the one who replaced the motor when it last went bad). He said he checked the panel and it was getting power, so he told me that the motor likely went bad again.

I like to drive with the windows down - because I loses horses when using the AC - so I have been sucking it up by lowering the passenger window and popping the rear windows (which vent open with a locking clip. Today I got in my Blazer and the passenger window wouldn't go down. I tried lowering the window from both the driver and passenger power panels. There's no motor noise or any kind of electrical clicking noises that one might sometimes hear.

Additionally, I have noticed over the past few days that both of my turn signals are not operating normally. I don't know if it's the stick on the column, the relay, or what. I'm not super mechanically inclined, hence my post here. Initially, when engaged, he arrow lights on the dash panel will initially flash and I can hear the clicking in the dash. But the clicking will slow, and the arrow light on the dash panel will not blink. If I apply a slight down or up pressure (depending on if I'm turning right or left) to the turn signal control on the steering column, the lights operate normally.

I'm wondering if the problem with the turn signals and the sudden inoperability of my passenger power window could be related to some kind of overload, or bad ground? I breezed through a couple of posted threads regarding the window problem. One owner said his windows would work when not connected to the regulator, but didn't work when connected. Another, using a test light, indicated that he wasn't getting power to the pwr window fuse outlet. I checked my fuses and they're good, but have no idea if the jack/outlet for the pwr window fuse if working properly.

The last time I used my passenger window was eight days ago. I was out of town for a week and didn't drive my truck. That night, eight days ago, I jump started a friends car. I talked to him through the open passenger window while the two batteries were connected. I don't know if this instance has any relevance to my problems with the turn signals and the sudden inoperability of my passenger window, but I thought I should include it, since I'd suggested a possible overload. Who knows.

Hope to hear some good advice and suggestions... Honestly, I don't think the window motors can both be bad... I don't even think the driver's side window motor is bad. It's only two years old. Since my mechanic said the switch is good, there's got to be another culprit.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member
tmedley is on a distinguished road

Switches can build up a carbon contact from being used and cause problems with operation. You can usually pop them apart and clean the contacts to get them working again, or just replace the switch.

Motors are also a common fail item on power windows, they have a lot of drag with windows against an unlubed rubber strip. (if you lube your weatherstrips everyonce in a while it helps) Just because the motor is only a couple years old I wouldn't rule it out.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member
JZRALNC is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I had to drive somewhere tonight... I tried the switch and the passenger window went up and down several times. It worked from both door panels. That said, it's not the motor. The motor doesn't strain or vary in speed. It's got to be a bad connection with electric or something, eh?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Starting Member
Benji Walton is on a distinguished road

im having the same problem. same year/make. if you find out what the problem is , id be gretful to hear what it was