2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Prestone Cooling System Treatment - Worth it or Snake oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Prestone Cooling System Treatment - Worth it or Snake oil?

Hey everyone. I have a bottle of Prestone Cooling System Treatment sitting in my truck that I bought a few months ago. It claims to have corrosion inhibitors and it also claims to protect the water pump. Is it worth it to put it in the radiator to protect the cooling system? Would it at least add a few years of life to the heater core so I don't have to rip everything apart in a few years to replace the darn thing (it is NOT leaking and the heat works great)? Also I just had the coolant flushed a couple weeks ago, so it is new, clean coolant. Thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Are any of these Prestone cooling system treatments (not flushes) any use? Would it prevent future problems like with the water pump and heater core? I REALLY don't want to have to replace a heater core in a couple years.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't subscribe to the additive theory in the vast majority of cases. Many vehicles go through life just fine with proper maintenance and without additives.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Ok thanks. I just make sure the coolant is changed when it needs to be changed then.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Beginning Member
tscott is on a distinguished road

Ive noticed that if you keep it clean and without air in the system its fine, even dexcool... but i own a blazer that was sucking air at the heater core pipe and that is what started corrosion on in the system. Once that was fixed everything seems fine after a radiator and a flush.

My other blazer never had corrosion in the system, and never had air in the system either, my s10 never had any issues either. I never added anything else to the system on any of them and the heater cores are all original on all three vehicles. It just doesnt seem necessary.