2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Problem with starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Beginning Member
miffalek is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with starting

Hi.
I'd like just to mention that I'm from polland so my English isn't the best on, sorry for that.

I've bought blazer 1996 5door 4WD from a second owner in polland.
It's a great car but I've a problem with starting. When Blazer is standing for a chilly nigt -55 F at the yard I've a problem to start it. Sounds like it wanted to start but just wouldnt, then it starts just for a few seconds and then drop again and finaly after that sturts jus fine. When the engine is hot there are no problems with starting it. Oil presure is fine, baterry is god voltage, I've went to mechanic but US cars aren't popular in polland so what could be the problem: spark plug and wires, vortec distributor ?? or something else.

Regards
Mike

Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Beginning Member
ckevroll is on a distinguished road

I would start with replacing the fuel and air filters.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member

Hi
Air filter is clean the same with fuel - 3 months old

Old 06-06-2009, 01:26 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep looking at that -55 F. whoa. I'm happy mine starts so well on -10 mornings. It's difficult for gasoline to vaporize at that low of a temperature. I doubt it's a spark problem. With a weak ignition system you'd probably have a regular problem with flooding and soaking the plugs if it couldn't burn the additional fuel starting at those temps. Sounds like not quite enough fuel.
If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, check to make sure the pump and regulator are operating properly when everything is cold. Hopefully someone can suggest the correct pressure for yours.
Possibly the PCM temperature sending unit is inaccurate. It's minus 55 out but the computer thinks it's minus 20 and doesn't enhance the starting fuel enough. That would require a scanner that can see the engine operating parameters when the motor is cooled to outdoor temps - compared to a outdoor thermometer to verify.
Maybe a fuel additive that make the fuel a bit more volatile at low temps. I don't know a good example but they must have them locally, ask for a recommendation at a gas station. Maybe just turn the key on for a few seconds, let it build it fuel pressure, turn it off, then try starting it. I call that extreme conditions.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Beginning Member

OOOO I've made a big mistake I meant 55 F not - 55 sorry for that mistake. I have this problem when I'm starting cool engine after a while of driving it's starts without a problem

Old 06-06-2009, 03:16 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

a fuel pressure test will still be a good test to perform. our trucks need 60+psi to start and i believe the fule pressure should never drop below 55psi. if you are not getting the proper pressure it could very well be your fuel pump is on its way out and i know here in the states it isnt hard find a shop to fix this problem, but with you being overseas you might be better off doing a little research and replacing the pump yourself that way youll save some cash and have peace of mind its done right. if you just sit tight for a bit someone with a lil more knowledge in this area will chime in and help you out.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to help with testing your fuel presure:

96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Old 06-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Beginning Member
Smile

OK, but shouldn't occur the same problem if the fuel pump is down when the car is parked for 3 hours at parking. After a first evrey day problematic start the problem is gone as I wrote even if the car is standing for 3 or 4 hours.
Neverthenless thx for tip I'll test the fuel pressure

Old 06-06-2009, 03:53 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Those pumps can be a little tricky sometimes. It could a symptom that the pump preparing to fail completely. Just barely low fuel pressure could cause a hard start on a cold engine while a warm engine will usually fire easier.