2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

"Proportioning Valve" Reset Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Beginning Member
TheDevilsDaddy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation "Proportioning Valve" Reset Help

I made the mistake of running my master cylinder dry for the back brakes and it tripped the P-Valve. I Googled and read until my head spins with no luck. Theres gotta be a way to reset it without the tool I keep running across. I read dumb ideas and nothing that works....... any help is appreciated! Trying to get this Blazer on the road so I can get working!

Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

"Proportioning Valve" Reset Help-image.jpg

Maybe you should google it again

I know there are suggested remedies posted in the forum... I believe they involve stomping very hard on the brake pedal or something. Is the tool you are referring to the scanner to activate the ABS auto bleed? I'm not sure that would do anything for the porportioning valve being stuck. However that is way above my pay grade... I'm sure if you keep looking around the forum you will find the answers you seek....

Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 AM
Beginning Member

Nice start CWBDD-SPCA...... with your ingenious advice (NO-BODY LIKES A SMARTA$$) of keep Googling, I copied the part from the article below THAT I JUST FOUND ON GOOGLE".

But the link to the whole article is http://www.classicperform.com/TechBo...t.htm#testprop It seems very good and covers alot of brake problems. I hope it works.

Test Combination/Proportioning Valve
Use a test light by attaching a clip to a positive contact on the vehicle and touch the point of the tester to the electrical connection of the combination valve. If the the light does not come on, the valve system is operating correctly and no further testing is required.
If the light does come on, this indicates that the pressure differential valve is stuck in the
front or rear position front or rear position
Bleed the brake system to determine if the front or rear lines are blocked off. Set up one front wheel and one rear wheel for bleeding at the same time. Crack both bleeder screws and gently pump the pedal a few times.
The blocked side will trickle fluid out when the bleeder screw is cracked and the pedal pressed. An unblocked line will squirt fluid out the bleeder.
The lines that are clear must be left open and the blocked lines should have the bleeder screws tight to cause pressure to build up on that side. Be sure to use the standard bleeding procedures to prevent air from entering the system.
Slowly press the pedal with steady pressure a number of times until the light goes out; this will center the differential valve. You may also hear a pop come from the proportioning valve. This is the metering valve returning to its equalized position. When the light goes out, close the bleeder screw.

Last edited by TheDevilsDaddy; 08-30-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:57 AM

Nice work out of you! I had total faith in you man, and thanks for sharing those results for fellow googlers !!

Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 PM
Beginning Member
Old 08-31-2015, 02:38 PM

Seriously, nice work!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the hard stomp on the brake pedal actually worked for me once on a astro van. got pissed off and kicked the brake pedal, heard something click and the brakes started working

Old 10-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Beginning Member

I gravity bled mine, pumped a quart of brake fluid and I drive it everyday. Only problem is I have air in my ABS and the pedal isn't what I want but it works and is safe on the road..... unless you pull out in front of me and your azz is mine!!! LOL