2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Purchased: Keyless entry Remote. How do I get it to work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Beginning Member
Bonsee is on a distinguished road
Default Purchased: Keyless entry Remote. How do I get it to work?

I just purchased a keyless remote for my 97 chevy blazer lt. What do I need to do to get it to work. Note, it never had a remote before.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does your truck have remote keyless entry? The RKE receiver is located under the dash near the parking brake. If not, there is a lot more that goes into it than the remote. If you do, you have to make sure that the remote's FCC ID matches all but the last letter with the FCC ID on the RKE receiver. The remote will have a 'T' at the end for Transmitter while the RKE receiver will have an 'R' at the end.

If everything matches up, you can try one of the following procedures to program the remotes:

Procedure 1:
  1. Ground terminal No. 4 (Black) to No. 8 (Black/White wire) of Data Link Connector (DLC) located under lower left side of instrument panel. Receiver will respond by locking and unlocking all doors and activating liftgate window release (if equipped) within 2 seconds. Press any button of first transmitter to be reprogrammed. Control module will respond by locking/unlocking all doors and activating liftgate window release (if equipped).
  2. Press any button of second transmitter to be reprogrammed (if equipped). Control module will again respond by locking/unlocking all doors and activating liftgate window release (if equipped). Remove ground from DLC terminals. Transmitter operation can be verified by locking and unlocking doors and automatically activating liftgate window release.
Procedure 2:
  1. With ignition switch in OFF position, hold down power unlock button on door panel. Turn ignition switch to ON position, then OFF. Turn ignition switch to ON position, then OFF a second time. Release power unlock button on door panel. Receiver will respond by locking and then unlocking all doors and unlatching rear window (utility vehicles only) to indicate programming mode.
  2. Hold down LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on transmitter for 15 seconds. Receiver should respond by locking then unlocking all doors and unlatching rear window (utility vehicles only).
  3. Repeat step 2) for each additional transmitter. All extra transmitters MUST be reprogrammed at this time. When a new transmitter is reprogrammed, old transmitters will be deactivated.
  4. Turn ignition to ON position to exit transmitter mode.

Procedure 2 is easier, but may not work in all cases.