2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Question about timing adjustment & CMP retard

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
billfrank85 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about timing adjustment & CMP retard

Okay, so tomorrow after work I'm going to take out my distributor and set the timing as per the EDI Engine Timing DYI. Here's what I get out of it:

Take distributor out
Rotate crankshaft balancer until all notches line up
Align the paint mark and indent hole on distributor
Turn the oil pump shaft to match the slot in the bottom of distributor
Install the distributor with matching paint mark/hole facing front of vehicle
Have rotor tab pointing at the 6 that is cast into distributor
Install cap, wires, etc...tighten 10MM hold down bolt
Install live data scanner, get access to CMP retard
Turn vehicle on, see where it is and then loosen hold down bolt and move the distributor shaft while running until CMP retard is 0?

I just want to make sure I'm looking at this the right way. My actual question is this: I plan on doing all of that minus the CMP retard adjustment Friday when I get home from work. I can't get to a scanner until Saturday. Will my vehicle run poorly without the CMP adjustment...for example, could I drive it that extra day until I get to a scanner without any issues? Also, is a CASE relearn required? I am not replacing ANY parts.

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

Is the reason youre doing this because you have a P1345 code? also what year are we talking?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

You're pretty close but you should leave the distributor in until you have the balancer at 0 and the rotor is pointing at ...OR NEAR...#1 or you could end up 180 degrees off, if its a newer "crossfire" cap where the plug wires go into the sides make you sure you look at which terminal under the cap the rotor is actually pointing to because they crisscross each other inside the cap. If you are doing this because of the p1345 code and you have more than 120,000 miles on it you better just buy a new distributor gear and save yourself a trip to the parts store, im saying this all based on the assumption that you have a newer style vortec engine, 96 and newer, they are notorious for eating distributor gears, if you do have to change it note the orientation in which it comes off very carefully, if you put it on upside down or 1/2 turn off you will be in for headaches, hope i didnt confuse you, just trying to help! Good luck! By the way the distributor gear i just put in my 2000 was 53 bucks at Oreilly. Let us know what you find!

Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 AM
billfrank85 is on a distinguished road

I did have the P1345 code after I did the intake gaskets and apparently didn't put the distributor in 100% correct. I turned it in its bore enough to make the light go out but tonight I'm going to do it the right way. I inspected the gear when I had it taken out a few weeks ago and they looked fine (compared them to a new one).

It is a 98 Jimmy.