2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

question & update on 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 PM
BlackBastard is on a distinguished road
Question question & update on 4x4

hey guys I been postin on here about my 4x4 lately, ive been gaining some ground on it but heres where im at now.

found out after some looking last night there is about 4 fuses that deal with your 4x4.

the 4x4 fuse obviously
the courtesy lights fuse in the cab.
the ATC fuse under the hood
and the TBC fuse under the hood.

pulled all those fuses out and found that the ATC fuse was blown.

let the truck sit and reset for bout 30 minutes with them out.

thought I had it figured out, put the fuse in, tried it, and still nothing.

checked it and it had blown again.

got to lookin around and I read 2 of those old forums where people ask gm techs questions and pay them.

2 different techs and another website say there is 2 things that can cause that fuse to keep blowing.

Binding in the t case (which I don't think I have, never had problems or noises with it at all)

Or a short in the harness, they all said specifically around a pinch weld above the transmission where the harness runs down to the encoder.

So have any of you guys ever experienced this problem?

Does that harness only run from the TCCM to the encoder?

Im gonna give it a look from under the truck tomorrow and try and pull it out sometime soon and inspect/repair it if necessary.

Just wondering if theres a pic of the routing or even the harness itself.

But ill keep you guys updated on what I find, icey out here and the shops full of customers stuff and its dark by time im off work so not the best conditions right now lol.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 AM
spittybays

I don't think your going to find a pic but the pinched wire is the lead I would try to follow. Pic's are difficult because they put them together in two pieces. They wire up the body and frame separate then drop one on the other. You might use a multi- meter to find witch one is shorting or broken then just run a brand new bypass wire and splice it in.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

You should really keep all of your 4x4 ?s in the same thread rather than continuing to make new threads. You now have 4 threads regarding this topic and if it were all together in one it would be much easier for people to help you out! I'm going to put in a request for your threads to be combined for you and in the future keep all like topics together for your own benefit

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Does it only blow the fuse when you try to shift it, or does it just blow as soon as you put the fuse in, or turn on the ignition? Have you tried unplugging the encoder/motor and seeing if that stops it from blowing the fuse? Right sized fuse? 20A

Old 12-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Starting Member
jpimp is on a distinguished road

My 99 did this for a while until I stumbled upon some shaved wire insulation at the front wheel speed sensor, making it short to ground.
I taped it up, and problem solved. Wahoo 4x4! I will take off the tape in the summer and fix it properly with heat shrink tubing.

Good luck

Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 PM
BlackBastard is on a distinguished road

ya put the right fuse in, 20amp, ill have to see if it only blows when I press the button or start up.

Ill definitely check around the speed sensor jpimp.