2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:10 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about
Default quick question

Ok, my catalytic convert is cracked..I know this...now it hasn't made my gas millage bad...in fact the biggest thing it does is annoy the heck out of me as it rattles incessantly...however I noticed the other day that once it "warms" up it makes a high pitched hissing sound when I am accelerating...and I swear that my truck lags a little when I step on the accelerator...my question is this...are the two connected? could a cracked converter make my truck start lagging on the take off?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: quick question

Well replace it and you will find out lol. But having a damaged cat can screw up a number of things. It may just effect your truck in a different way. I would suspect the lagging is due to the cat...

Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

The answer is yes. If the converter breaks down internally it becomes plugged (hissing). If your exhaust gets plugged you won't be able to get the air and fuel through the engine efficiently = power loss.
You should be able to get an aftermarket cat installed for a couple hundred bucks or less.

That's about the same $ as I seem to be spending on chocolate covered espresso beans....lol

Old 12-06-2006, 11:37 PM
BF Veteran

ha ha haah!!! espresso beans....yeah well the point is I don't want a new cat...I want to sell my truck in the spring..and get a new one....that's ok...I will just suffer...winter is almost done....besides...I think I might have someone to *gasp* "work around" the situation.......man I need to find a man with a garage and a lift......

Old 12-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

you should drive about 5 hours south.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:06 AM
BF Veteran

I am a certified massage therapist....we could trade...I'll give you an hour massage for every hour you help me with my truck!! how's that sound?

Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you need done karin?

Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: Paddle_grl

I am a certified massage therapist....we could trade...I'll give you an hour massage for every hour you help me with my truck!! how's that sound?
Ok, let's start the bidding....I can replace your cat in.....8 hours...and it's only a 33 1/2 hour drive to my house.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

sounds great to me. I broke my neck in high school and have torn both rotator cuffs and I get wicked sore and stiff from installing radios and alams all day!!

Old 12-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

ORIGINAL: Paddle_grl

Ok, let's start the bidding....I can replace your cat in.....8 hours...and it's only a 33 1/2 hour drive to my house.
8 hours! How many beers are you drinkin' during this repair? I could have it done in 2 hours fully welded! And I'm under 10 hours drive! LOL

Quick Reply: quick question