2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Quick transfer case question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:22 PM
|
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road
Default Quick transfer case question!

97 2-door blazer 84k
Ok so i was told by mechanic I need a new transfer case and both axles replaced (cv?) one boot was torn the other was geting there. He said the transfer csae was making noise.

1.) How can I verify I need a new transfer case? and
2.) how soon do I need to get these done?

my trusted mechanic said about $250 labor for a transfer csae and I found one on ebay for $200 and

3.) I thought there was only and axle in the back?

4.) so 450 for the transfer case does that seem resonable?
5.)and how much do you think it will cost me for axles and install?

Thanks so much for anyone who takes the time to imput!

Last edited by dj00140; 05-22-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2010 | 02:35 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

As for a new t-case I would drain the oil and smell it. If it smells burnt you probably need some work done to it. There really isn't nuch to the thing if you have a good (read factory) service manual. You could go through the whole thing in a day or two and a little web surfing will get you all the parts you need. If there's no oil in it, it may be toast and you need to get it done like now. As for the axles (front axles) there's guys around that do nothing but replace axles. I know one place here in Ft. Worth that I paid $114.00 per side for mine and left it there but by the time I got home the guy called and said it was ready. Shop around a little. If you got a t-case for a 97 for $200.00 that's a pretty good deal. The only ones I've seen for that cheap are the older manual shift 231s. Hope this helps. Don't mean to **** off your mechanic. You'd probably be better off overhauling your t-case than getting some unknown used stuff. My opinion only. I had to take mine apart myself this past year and can't see why everyone's so scared of them. They really are a piece of cake.

Old 05-23-2010 | 01:20 PM
|
Starting Member

Is that $114.00 per side with the new axles? what axles is it axle shaft, drive axles, cv axles, cv halfshaft? I wasnt sure what he meant but on the estimate I thought it said cv. And is it really that risky putting on a used transfer case?

Old 05-23-2010 | 01:38 PM

I paid $114.00 per side. They rebuild them and just swap them out here. As for risky on the t-case, I guess if you got a warranty it wouldn't be too bad but $200.00 for an electric shift t-case sounds pretty cheap. I'm assuming you have an electric shift model. Find out what year the used t-case is. If it's from like an early 80s you can't use it anyway because your case has a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and those nodels have a speedometer drive gear. In other words your speedometer won't work anymore. What model of t-case do you have? The ID tag should be right above the fill plug on the back of the t-case. You should know this before you buy one. Also why do your CV joints need to be replaced? If they make a "clacking" noise when you turn, they're bad. Otherwise you can repack them and install a new boot. Just trying to help you out here, not burst your bubble.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 05-23-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2010 | 05:21 PM
|
Starting Member

ya it looks like one boot is torn and theres green grease around them on both sides and they do make a noise when turning. This is what I need right:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Axleshaft/C...google_base_yr
except for a 97 of course. I found the t-case on ebay theres hundred of them! one is local and has a warrenty. What fluid do i use if i drain it from the case?

Old 05-24-2010 | 12:18 AM
|
Starting Member

Gimpy,

Is it really that difficult to install a t-case because I found a guy who will do it for $100 and sell me the t-case for $50 with warrenty of 30 days, I mean as long as the t-case works I have nothing to lose right? Worst case scenerio it goes out and im only out $150 rught?

Should I just buy one with 90k on ebay and have him install it for $100? Are these things that go out a lot or would I be ok with one that has 150k?

Old 05-24-2010 | 03:28 PM

I've always either had the axle shafts replaced or now I just do it myself. Quit being scared of anything on these vehicles. But yes that's what I would do. That isn't a bad price there.
As for your t-case for $150.00 installed I doubt you could go wrong with that. I'd change the rear transmission mount (about $20.00) and make sure the guy uses new gaskets (yes there are gaskets between the trans and t-case - not just silicone.
I hate to tell you to read your owner's manual about the proper fluids to put in your truck because that means you haven't checked the fluid ever on the t-case. Usually you'll find it's transmission fluid. Book calls for Dexron IIE or equivilent. Big (30mm) plug on bottom to drain, big (30mm) plug on top to fill. Fill to bottom of fill plug hole (with vehicle level) and torque the drain and fill plugs to 18 ft. lbs. They only take like 1 liter or 2.2 pints.

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:32 PM
|
Starting Member

Well I found the t-case at a salvage yard and asked if they could install it for me and they said yes for $100 extra and for $10 more I get a one year warrenty on the part.

How many hours per side does it take you to do the axles?

I mean im good at being able to put back together what I take apart is that all it takes to be able to do a job like this. The axles I mean?

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:49 PM

I'm pretty methodical (read ****). When I take things apart I clean eveything and usually paint it pretty so it pretty much looks like new when I'm done. I'm in no rush to do anything nowdays. If you just want to tear it apart and put it back together I'd plan on a morning and actually figure a whole day (cause you're going to run into unforseen problems like stuck bolts, broken this and that you'll want to fix. A little help is always welcome especially of they have some experience at this kind of thing. Make sure you have the right tools for the job (you may have to rent some from your local auto parts store). And for crying out loud if you're going to do it yourself, GET A GOOD MANUAL and pick the auto parts guy's brain for everything you can get out of him. Someone that works there has probably done this before. A rehearsal in your mind while manual inhand and looking at your truck is also invaluable. That and a lot of patience.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 05-24-2010 at 09:43 PM.