2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Radiator drain plug broken, need advice on repair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member
HamToast is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator drain plug broken, need advice on repair.

I went to drain, flush and replace the radiator fluid today for the first time since owning this vehicle and I noticed something seemed a bit off about the drain valve. It appears to be missing. There is nothing where the valve should be except for the small drain tube protruding out from the radiator. I would have assumed that the plug is simply missing except that something is in the tube holding the fluid in the radiator (my fluid has never been low).

I'm not sure how to go about the removal and replacement of the old plug. I was thinking an easy out would be a good bet but am unsure of how the plug is normally held in place and don't want to damage the tube further.

Any advice on this would be helpful, its a new problem for me. Right now I'm just hoping some yahoo didn't put JB weld up there to act as a plug!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Beginning Member
99cbsuv is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd drain it by removing the bottom radiator hose and once the system was empty I'd pull the radiator. Then I'd see what the previous owner did and rectify the issue by installing a new drain plug fitting that you should be able to get at your local dealer.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
Manatee is on a distinguished road

The plug/stem is a piece of plastic that you can turn with a 1/4" drive socket handle. It is a real PITA that is virtually impossible to see even with a mirror. Auto parts stores carry replacements for about $6. It is a highly developed bad idea.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Beginning Member
AKJeff64 is on a distinguished road
Default Drain valve....

I saw 2 on Amazon, dorman 6113 for $7.67, and ACDelco 52484010 for $7.15. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i wouldnt mess with it if its broke, its broke closed and leave it that way. as 99cbsuv said you can drain it with the bottom hose being removed, i seen quite a few s10s with broken drains i dont know why

Old 12-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Starting Member
tdbone1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
i wouldnt mess with it if its broke, its broke closed and leave it that way. as 99cbsuv said you can drain it with the bottom hose being removed, i seen quite a few s10s with broken drains i dont know why
funny you talk about this.

i just replaced my thermostat today
i was looking for my drain plug and seen the exact same thing you are describing.
what looks like a broken drain plug
like the previous reply from above i just removed my battery and tray and then i could get to the bottom hose clamp and bam.
hose came right off.
replaced the T-Stat and put hose right back on.

i think it might even be easier to do then getting under the car when there is snow on the ground and its 22F out.

just had to open hood and lean into there

Old 12-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Beginning Member

It makes sense to leave it alone since it's broken closed. I think I'll just leave it alone then. Maybe one day I'll get a wild hair and fix it, or just put in a new radiator. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Beginning Member
Charles Hines is on a distinguished road

All the recent GM's have the same thing.Use a 1/4" extension and turn the valve 1/4 turn only and it works fine.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member

I tried using a 1/4 extension and it didn't fit at all. There didn't seem to be any kind of hole to receive any sort of tool. A part look-up yields something that looks like a wing nut.

I'm pretty sure this one is broken. Oh well!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Beginning Member
m0perale is on a distinguished road

Is there an off-white color tip on the end of the black horizontal tube (lower passenger side corner of the radiator)?

Here's an article that shows where it is (at least on the 4.3, like I have).

Drain plug

Sorry if linking to an external site isn't allowed, I'm new.

Last edited by m0perale; 12-25-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Link

Quick Reply: Radiator drain plug broken, need advice on repair.