Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Radiator replacement question!!! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/radiator-replacement-question-69455/)

ChevySkeptic 03-28-2012 10:11 AM

Radiator replacement question!!!

I just replaced my radiator last night ( right after the transmission shop gave it back after a complete rebuild ). It is obviously not a very big job, only took maybe an hour. However, after watching several different instruction videos online, and reading a bunch I seem to have an issue! Every one I found online has 4 metal lines going to the radiator, 2 for the trans. cooling and 2 for oil cooling. Mine only has 2 metal lines, and the other 2 places on the radiator are simply left with nothing connected. The 2 metal lines I do have are the two which connect to the radiator on the passenger side. Does my particular model just not have the other 2?, or has someone in the past done some "modifications". Also I did a flush-n-fill with one of those kits ( put a "T" on the heater hose, etc. ). How do I ensure the cooling system is FULL? I filled the reservoir, the radiator, and even filled the hose going to the thermostat and then I ran the engine for about 15 to 20 minutes and the radiator was still full. Any tricks I need to know? THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

swartlkk 03-28-2012 11:33 AM

With no pertinent vehicle information, it is difficult to say for sure, but it sounds like you have a 2wd truck based on the trans install time. If that is the case, you likely do not have the factory engine oil cooler running through the driver side radiator tank. The radiator will not leak if you do not connect anything to the ports.

ChevySkeptic 03-28-2012 05:54 PM

2 wheel drive

She's a 98 Blazer 4 door, 2 wheel drive with a SPANKING NEW transmission!!!

volfan4 03-28-2012 06:31 PM

your ok with the radiator. I had noticed this when I puchased a new one when i replaced the Trans in mine ( I wanted a clean trans cooler). The aftermarket only makes the Radiator for a Manual Trans with oil cooler and the automatic version with trans and Oil cooler. You'll just have to leave the plugs in the oil cooler that came with it when you purchased it. As far as the coolant level goes I usually let the motor heat up with the radiator cap off. when the thermostat opens the coolant level will drop, then top it off , put the cap back on and drive it a few miles. let it cool off and check the level again, top it off if necessary and fill the reservoir.

mrkevinmjr 03-28-2012 06:58 PM

isnt drivers side for oil and pass side for trans cooler?

volfan4 03-28-2012 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrkevinmjr (Post 509444)
isnt drivers side for oil and pass side for trans cooler?

Yes. From what I understand he doesn't have an oil cooler setup on his and he is only using the trans cooler.

ChevySkeptic 03-29-2012 11:35 AM

updater!

Yes I have done some more reading myself. Apparently 99% of the 98 Blazers are 4 wheel drive because EVERY reference I could find was for 4WD. So apparently my 2WD just did not come with the oil cooler setup, ( and from what I have read I am glad it didn't! ). It is weird though that the 2 spots where the oil cooler lines went just get left open. That is how the original radiator was, and the new one didn't come with any plugs for it. Is it normal that my temp gauge NEVER really goes past a quarter of the way? Is it possible to run too cool?

pettyfog 03-29-2012 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChevySkeptic (Post 509619)
Yes I have done some more reading myself. Apparently 99% of the 98 Blazers are 4 wheel drive because EVERY reference I could find was for 4WD. So apparently my 2WD just did not come with the oil cooler setup, ( and from what I have read I am glad it didn't! ). It is weird though that the 2 spots where the oil cooler lines went just get left open. That is how the original radiator was, and the new one didn't come with any plugs for it. Is it normal that my temp gauge NEVER really goes past a quarter of the way? Is it possible to run too cool?

Yes it is. I know you just joined but there's a LOT of that going on.

And in every Mileage and performance thread it's stated that the thermostat should be 195 deg and the temp gage should run at just to left of 210 mark.

mrkevinmjr 03-29-2012 01:12 PM

I gotta check my lines I hope they are not leaking from when I replaced my radiator. I have oil on my lower shroud...