2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Radiator replacement question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Beginning Member
ChevySkeptic is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator replacement question!!!

I just replaced my radiator last night ( right after the transmission shop gave it back after a complete rebuild ). It is obviously not a very big job, only took maybe an hour. However, after watching several different instruction videos online, and reading a bunch I seem to have an issue! Every one I found online has 4 metal lines going to the radiator, 2 for the trans. cooling and 2 for oil cooling. Mine only has 2 metal lines, and the other 2 places on the radiator are simply left with nothing connected. The 2 metal lines I do have are the two which connect to the radiator on the passenger side. Does my particular model just not have the other 2?, or has someone in the past done some "modifications". Also I did a flush-n-fill with one of those kits ( put a "T" on the heater hose, etc. ). How do I ensure the cooling system is FULL? I filled the reservoir, the radiator, and even filled the hose going to the thermostat and then I ran the engine for about 15 to 20 minutes and the radiator was still full. Any tricks I need to know? THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Last edited by ChevySkeptic; 03-28-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: wrong thread title
Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With no pertinent vehicle information, it is difficult to say for sure, but it sounds like you have a 2wd truck based on the trans install time. If that is the case, you likely do not have the factory engine oil cooler running through the driver side radiator tank. The radiator will not leak if you do not connect anything to the ports.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Beginning Member
Default 2 wheel drive

She's a 98 Blazer 4 door, 2 wheel drive with a SPANKING NEW transmission!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

your ok with the radiator. I had noticed this when I puchased a new one when i replaced the Trans in mine ( I wanted a clean trans cooler). The aftermarket only makes the Radiator for a Manual Trans with oil cooler and the automatic version with trans and Oil cooler. You'll just have to leave the plugs in the oil cooler that came with it when you purchased it. As far as the coolant level goes I usually let the motor heat up with the radiator cap off. when the thermostat opens the coolant level will drop, then top it off , put the cap back on and drive it a few miles. let it cool off and check the level again, top it off if necessary and fill the reservoir.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

isnt drivers side for oil and pass side for trans cooler?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrkevinmjr
isnt drivers side for oil and pass side for trans cooler?
Yes. From what I understand he doesn't have an oil cooler setup on his and he is only using the trans cooler.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Beginning Member
Default updater!

Yes I have done some more reading myself. Apparently 99% of the 98 Blazers are 4 wheel drive because EVERY reference I could find was for 4WD. So apparently my 2WD just did not come with the oil cooler setup, ( and from what I have read I am glad it didn't! ). It is weird though that the 2 spots where the oil cooler lines went just get left open. That is how the original radiator was, and the new one didn't come with any plugs for it. Is it normal that my temp gauge NEVER really goes past a quarter of the way? Is it possible to run too cool?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ChevySkeptic
Yes I have done some more reading myself. Apparently 99% of the 98 Blazers are 4 wheel drive because EVERY reference I could find was for 4WD. So apparently my 2WD just did not come with the oil cooler setup, ( and from what I have read I am glad it didn't! ). It is weird though that the 2 spots where the oil cooler lines went just get left open. That is how the original radiator was, and the new one didn't come with any plugs for it. Is it normal that my temp gauge NEVER really goes past a quarter of the way? Is it possible to run too cool?
Yes it is. I know you just joined but there's a LOT of that going on.

And in every Mileage and performance thread it's stated that the thermostat should be 195 deg and the temp gage should run at just to left of 210 mark.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

I gotta check my lines I hope they are not leaking from when I replaced my radiator. I have oil on my lower shroud...