2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Radio and button lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 PM
filtalr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Radio and button lights

Tried the search but didn't find an answer to this particular issue... I noticed last night that the lights on my radio buttons aren't lit. The ones for am/fm, cd etc are but the buttons for 123456 search aren't -- it's like the left side of the radio lights are out -- are they on a common lamp or are they individual lamps behind the buttons? And how would one go about replacing same?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Radio and button lights

There are a few LEDs in the stereo that control the illumination of the front panel. Sounds like one or more of these LEDs has failed. This happens quite a bit in the Pontiac stereos... If you are good with a soldering iron, you can replace them fairly economically, but it requires a pretty involved disassembly of the stereo itself...

Old 10-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Well - I don't guess it's that big of a deal although I am quite good with an iron it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth for now. What about the lamps for like the "A/C on" button and "internal air-flow" button -- are they led's too? And while we're at it are the window controls in the driver's door supposed to be lit? (the "lock switch" button is the only one illuminated). If so what are the lamp types there? Yeppir -- got a few out
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know there is atleast one member here that has converted the color of all of his interior lights (had an aftermarket stereo though). Hopefully he'll chime in with the bulb requirements.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

For the heater controls, you'll need size 37 bulbs...

I think the window switches are supposed to light up, but I can't say for sure, as I don't have power windows or locks...

But for that, you'd need to get the factory lighting setup, as it's a special fancy setup for it, unless you make your own...

Old 10-14-2007, 11:19 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah you need 37 bulbs for the HVAC controls, 194's for the dash cluster lights. As for the door locks yes they should light up. I have never been able to find any replacement bulbs as the autoparts stores have never seen those before. My suggestion is to go to the dealership, ignore it and dont worry about it, or custom mount some LED's in there. I have converted my entire dash to Blue LED's and put in an aftermarket stereo. I have not gotten around to the door/window switches but they look like they will be the toughest to do out of the ones I have done. I am going to be writing up a how to on the other conversions and eventually get to the door controls, but have been real busy lately.

EDIT: Oh and the lights that are orange signifing the 4x4 mode or 2wd mode, whether the rear defroster is on, and the AC on are LED's that are super small and would be best to leave alone. All the other lights (including the stereo) are little incandascent bulbs that are soldered to the circuit boards. I would not recommend taking the stereo apart as it is fairly complex. I would leave it alone or get an aftermarket headunit.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 AM

The LED that notes when the "A/C is on" is working - it's the lamp that illuminates/glows behind the switch that's not illuminating nuttin. How do you get into it to change it out?

I'm leaving the radio alone - for now... I can feel in the dark for the buttons.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-15-2007, 04:29 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

you have to take your dash surrond off most of it pops off but there is two screws underneath that nead to come off then take that off it will give you access to to your controls take them out and then the ***** come off and its a top plate behind the ***** pop that off to reveal the bulbs if that is what your talking about

Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

If you're talking about the little orange light when you press a button...

I don't have that in mine, but I assume it's the same as the rear defrost button... You'll have to solder something to the circuit board for that...

edit: and the door controls don't seem all that bad, at least from when I test fit some stuff...

Old 10-15-2007, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: thegr81

you have to take your dash surrond off most of it pops off but there is two screws underneath that nead to come off then take that off it will give you access to to your controls take them out and then the ***** come off and its a top plate behind the ***** pop that off to reveal the bulbs if that is what your talking about
Well -- they aren't *****... they're nearly flat, contoured push-button switches. The orange "on" lights are working -- it's the lamp that illuminates/glows the buttons in the dark that is not working. And the switches on the dash in question are the "A/C on" and "external air" buttons. Is it the same process to get to those buttons?
And how do you get to the rocker switches in the door for the window lamps?

Quick Reply: Radio and button lights