2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Random Multipule Cylinder Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member
chucky blazer is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. i bought the hoses and installed them. witch was fun. the bolt snapped off that holds the fuel lines in so i had to take the lower intake off and re-tap a new hole
i got the new ones from dorman. i got it all back together and now i got timing issues. i have to go to work now but ill get it working tonight i hope.

after i do ill let you know if the random miss fires goes away.

also i was haveing a great deal of gas going out the exhaust. and i was getting a system to rich when it warmed up. that was from the fuel leaking inside the intake. sucking gas vapors in with the air.

i got that fixed so now i just hope i can figure out this dist. alignment problem.
should the distributor turn as your installing it. i had the crank at top dead center. and the rotor was right on cyl one. witch was pointing a the 6 on the dist. but it wont fire up just backfires bad.

thanks for your help

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
The last time I worked on my Blazer I similar thing happened to me. I had about a 1/4 tank of gas when I started it, and in no time, the low fuel light came on. You could smell how rich is was coming out the exhaust. Pulled my oil dipstick, and it looked like I added a quart of oil to it. Smell like gas too.

the funny thing is that i wasn't getting gas in my oil. i was coming right out the exhaust

Last edited by rriddle3; 10-20-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chucky blazer
Thanks guys. i bought the hoses and installed them. witch was fun. the bolt snapped off that holds the fuel lines in so i had to take the lower intake off and re-tap a new hole
i got the new ones from dorman. i got it all back together and now i got timing issues. i have to go to work now but ill get it working tonight i hope.

after i do ill let you know if the random miss fires goes away.

also i was haveing a great deal of gas going out the exhaust. and i was getting a system to rich when it warmed up. that was from the fuel leaking inside the intake. sucking gas vapors in with the air.

i got that fixed so now i just hope i can figure out this dist. alignment problem.
should the distributor turn as your installing it. i had the crank at top dead center. and the rotor was right on cyl one. witch was pointing a the 6 on the dist. but it wont fire up just backfires bad.

thanks for your help

the funny thing is that i wasn't getting gas in my oil. i was coming right out the exhaust
tdc happens twice every time the distributor makes 1 rotation,
put it in backwards? not sure if you can install it backwards on the 4.3 but some motors you can.

get the firing order correct?

Old 10-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Beginning Member

thanks guys, yeah the oil is over filled probably cause i cant the timing right. i got fuel pressure now. i did change the lines inside the intake. that works great. i got the dorman part. i was kinda figuring that high pressure hose wouldn't wrk. i was just checking. thank you. the lines only cost 56 bucks, so that wasn't that expensive.

my problem was getting them in i ended up snaping the blot that holds the lines in.. grrrrr what a mess i tell ya. so i had to pull the lower manifold off to easy out the bolt.

well that didn't work the easy out broke off in the hole. so i had to re-tap a new hole. well that worked, took some force to get those new fuel lines in place, i don't know how u could do it with the intake still on. i cleaned it and oiled it up good, and the bolt snapped.

i got it in and i painted my intake chevy orange (lokks pretty sweet)..

beside that i cant get the distributor in correctly. i checked out the forum for the EDI timing. i set my marks on the crank the second mark on top and the first mark on the bottom. they line up great.

i set the dist. in place with it seated its on the 6 that's in the dist cast. witch is cyl 1 TDC. i even took the plug out and felt the compression stroke stop. i was right on my crankshaft marks. and it still wouldn't fire up... not even a back fire.

i have tried this like no joke 20 times.. and i about everything else i could think of.. and still nothing... fliping it 180, setting it a few degrees above and below the 6 mark. still nothing.

I NEED HELP WITH THIS.... i have been trying for a week now. i just cant get it. im all out of ideas.

i got gas i got pressure, i got spark at each wire... i'm just lost now. i'm about to push it out of my garage and watch it burn...

Last edited by chucky blazer; 10-22-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: miss spelled some things
Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Beginning Member

does anybody live close to rockford il that can shed some light on this for me ill pay im at that point.... thank you all

Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Beginning Member

Well i got it finnally... yay after 25 tries and 5 days later. i'm no to sure what i did but i believe that it was cause i had the battery still connected. the computer didn't reset and my timing it was way advanced no matter where i put the rotor.

all i know is that i ran the batt. dead and took it to get recharged and put every thing on TDC. and it fired right up. no check engine light.

sometimes its the simple thing.

thanks for all of your help guys.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you Captain hook. i changed them out for those dorman ones. works great now.
Got 63psi now and it holds it.

and yes i change the oil, i got alot of gas in it thats for sure.
the inside of the motor s very clean now. that oil looked like muddy swamp water comming out.

now i just got to figure out why it wont start when it gets cold

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Glad you finally got her, thanks for posting back.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Beginning Member

no problem that's what where here for. and u guys helped me out alot... thank you. but unfortunately i retired the blazer.. i got a lemon. way to many hrs under the hood for nothing. it still wouldn't start when cold.. after i caught the engine on fire a wee with some eather. i decided to trade the pos in. i got a silverado now. much more truck . and way better.

my list of repairs.. enuf is enuf..

cap
rotor
dist (junk yard)
Ignition control mod
plugs
vacuum line was melted to trasfer case
vacuum acuator for the front diff (junk yard)
new vacuum lines to it
front diff sensor thing
changed all of the diff fluids
fuel filter
fuel lines inside of the plenum
painted plenum
new upper and lower intake gaskets
thermostat
heater hoses (exploded)
heater vacuum lines to dash
blower resistor
flushed trans
flushed coolant
new pitman arm (fun fun)
new idler arm
shocks on the front
new drivers seat
new multi function switch (that was fun too)
no interior lights
new coolant sensor
new map and new connector
4x4 switch on t case
new brake line from the fire wall back to the rear
new speakers in the rear

I was done...

After all of this it wouldn't stop for crap in the snow. 4x4 sucked and it was very uncontrollable. kinda scary. and if it was cold it would have a hell of a time starting.

New truck 200k on a 98 silverado 4x4 like brand new. the a/c even works hahhaah.. the blazer has 125k and it was toasted. i tried reviving it. but...

BYE BYE blazer i wont miss your headache