2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Random P0172 And misfire below 700 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

keep us posted

Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Will do...as soon as I get time and the weather cooperates lol.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 PM

PROGRESS!!!

So today I was at a salvage yard with my wife, shopping for skid plates for her truck. I spotted a shiny little Intake Air Temp Sensor...I nabbed it and when I got home, I swapped it out for mine (which looked original). I starter up the ole gal, knowing that I was just dreaming if I thought it would improve anything. It started up as usual...sputtered...I drove away from my house...it seemed to run better. I accelerated down the road. It didn't miss once. I stopped on the side of the road and the same old misfiring resumed, but not nearly as severe. I thought I was dreaming. My truck was back to it's old self, just missing at idle, albeit still badly.
So I decided, being I had read on here to only run AC Delco plugs...and I had Bosch Platinum plugs in there, that I would change them. Couldn't hurt. Maybe I had fouled 1 or 2 of them with all the poor running and that explained the misfiring. I went down to Autozone and got AC Delco copper plugs (what came in it). changed the drivers side first, all of them came out clean. Reluctantly I moved over to the passenger side and took out the plugs one by one...that's when I found it:

Every one of the passenger side plugs was fouled, and wet with gas. They were terrible. I swapped in the new ones, and away we went. Runs prefect. So I let it idle for about a minute...misfire...misfire...smell of gasoline from a rich running truck. So. I have a theory. Obviously that bank is running rich. Causing a misfire at idle. Then fouling the plugs, making the misfire worse. The only thing I can think of is that one of my O2 sensors is either bad or incorrect. How many O2 sensors does my truck have? Where are they? Are the O2 sensors the same type in all locations on my truck? Any ideas would be much appreciated. I think I might finally be figuring this puzzle out.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

Did you ever run that fuel pressure leakdown test? It could show a fuel leak inside the intake that would cause that.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:20 AM

As soon as I get money to rent the thing lol...Didn't think about that. Where exactly would it be leaking?

Last edited by BlaziNator; 02-16-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

On a 95 you could have a leak from the fuel line at the nut kit inside the intake. Or from the fuel pressure regulator on the spider injector assembly. Or possibly a leak from degraded O rings attaching those cursed poppet valves to the spider unit. (not 100% on that last one for a 95) All of the above are very common on these engines.

You can actually check for those leaks without the pressure tester if you don't mind taking the throttle body off. Which really isn't to bad of a job to do.

With the throttle body off look inside with a flashlight and look for any nice shiny clean spots on the intake manifold. If there are any then you most certainly have a leak somewhere. Where the clean spots are will usually tell you what is leaking.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

those plugs indicate that more than likely your FPR leaking inside the intake. check it the cheap way like i did. since you have a 95 CPI engine, take off the intake manifold tuning valve by removing the 2 screws that hold it on top of the intake and pull it out of your way, and then grab a good flashlight and look inside the intake for small puddles at the bottom of the intake. also look at the FPR to see if it looks clean or other signs of leaking. if you find any of these decribed, well then your FPR is leaking cause misfires!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Alright guys...let me start off by saying..yes, I am still going to check my fuel pressure this weekend. But...I went and got my new trouble codes read just now, and I got the P0300, and P1133 (O2 sensor Bank1 Sensor1) So, does my truck only have the 2 O2 sensors? I'm assuming that this is the one at the Y...

Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You only have one O2 sensor. I would get your fuel pressure tested before replacing any parts.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Actually I have 2...I just found my answer on another thread lol. I'm thinking that I fouled it with a LOT of seafoam. I've replaced both, but the front sensor (the one that is out) before I seafoamed. It's a shot in the dark...but they are both still under warranty so why not? =P

I'm still going to test the fuel pressure this weekend...I'll keep you posted.

Haha, the thread I found the info from was your post:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/95_VCM-A.gif

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Random P0172 And misfire below 700 rpm