2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rattle / clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:39 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rattle / clunking noise

ORIGINAL: mikol23

I just had the torsion bar mounts replaced 3 days ago. and ball joints done in july....
I'll try putting a rage under the hinge to see if thats the problem.
thanks for you help.

The mounts could be very weak from the factory, got an swing arm spare tire carrier on the back?

Old 12-06-2006, 05:44 PM
mikol23 is an unknown quantity at this point

the rag under the hood hinges fixed the rattling noise. is it hard to replace the washers?

Detroit muscle: yeah I do have the swing arm spare tire carrier. Do they cause problems?

Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

yes they do, go unlatch it and see if it moves up and down, im willing to bet you got a bad bushing, I bought a whole new arm assembly, i could not find the bushing anywhere for it not even dealerships had em.

Its noticeable on any bump and quite loud, very similar to a torsion bar mount slapping around and a clunking ball joint.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To install the washers, you just need to remove the outer cowl covers. The 'screws' that you see are fake. Use a small screwdriver to lift the center section and then pull it out, then remove the lower part. There is a slip clip on the outer edge so just pull up. The passenger side one can be tricky to get it to release from the center cowl cover, but it is just a clip that is there, trust me! From there, remove the nut, support the hood, remove the bolt, place the washer on to the bolt and reverse. Pretty easy.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Beginning Member
mr_dbc is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow perfect answer swartlkk. Even the GM dealership couldn't find it. Truck is quiet again.
Thanks very much!
DBC

Old 01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
classic_cruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

YEAH...WOW! I've been chasing that problem for about 4 months now. Every time I had the blazer up on the ramps for an oil change, etc. etc. I was digging in the wheel well looking for what might be making that rattle noise... smoked the shock bolts on, tightened every nut and bolt I could find in and around the wheel well, even took out the inside kick panel and tightened down the 4x4 control module as well as glued the electrical connector housing at the A/C ducts behind the glovebox. All that and it turns out to be a hood hinge bolt!

Can any washer be used or is this made in some special way to fit like a sleeve over the bolt?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:27 PM
yukonmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, glad i searched on this one! I've been wondering for the last month what the hell was rattling/clunking up front. i sounded low down in the drivers side, and i could feel it in the floorboard, so i thought something major was up. but lastnight i read this, and today i stuffed a cloth under the bracket on the drivers side, and drove over the worst road in town....and there was silence!!!!!! finallly when i get into the dealer for my cdplayer fix i'll get those washers put in...glad it's still under warranty for a few months!

thanks guys!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad this thread is still kickin' around!

If you guys see any thread such as this one and it helps you out, please post a link to it in the Helpful Threads post at the top of each section. This will help others easily find good, helpful posts!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

also-you can take an old innertube(or the like material) and cut out a circle the size of a quarter and cut a hole in the center of it(the size of the hood bolt) and use this-it works and if you have an old innertube laying around the cost is minimal! Sandwich this in between the hood bolt as the expensive GM part(instead of the GM part) and whola.....JP ps I should patent this and I'd be rich...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that'll work for a bit, but if you get under your hood often, it'll wear out. I don't like redoing my work. You can get the proper conical washers for under $3 for a 2 pack. To some, that is one less coffee for the week, not exactly expensive...

Quick Reply: Rattle / clunking noise