2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear brake replacement gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:27 PM
LordNor is on a distinguished road
Question

Hello!

I need some help and I'm pretty frustrated. I've been in the process of replacing the rear brakes and ran into a problem. I've got a 99 Blazer LT (I think the LT is right) with 4 wheel disc brakes. When I went to do the replacement I noticed that the dust plate was so rusted it was falling apart so I decided to to replace it. I was able to get the rear axle shafts out and back in ok but now, I can't get the passenger side caliper to go on. I have the new rotor on and it is seated against the hub. The caliper bracket is on and the pads are on and the rotor looks centered in between them. When I try and put the caliper back on it won't fit. If I try and put the caliper back on and put the non piston side on the brake pads the mouting "ears" on the caliper sit about 1/8" to 3/16" ahead of where it should be. I have a couple lug nuts on the rotor to make sure it is homed and doesn't move. From what I can see, everything looks correct. The piston is fully compressed, the axle shaft is in properly.

Has anyone else run into anything like this? Does anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty frustrated!

Thanks!

Here's a picture to show you what I'm talking about...

Attached Thumbnails Rear brake replacement gone bad...-pict2688-medium-.jpg   Rear brake replacement gone bad...-pict2696-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Nevermind. Missread post

Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I would have to see it in person to be of any real help but something can't be right if the caliper is aligning. Never heard of such a thing before.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How well do the sliders move? Have you tried cleaning out the holes they slide in to make sure that they are bottoming out in the proper location and not hanging up?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
How well do the sliders move? Have you tried cleaning out the holes they slide in to make sure that they are bottoming out in the proper location and not hanging up?
I had someone else over to look at it and we think the sliders are the problem. First off... they don't move... at all! They are completely rusted into place. They are a fraction of an inch different in where they are as well. I'm going to order a new bracket and sliders to see if that helps.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is DEFINITELY easier and cheaper in the long run to order new sliders, boots, and brackets than to try to free up the old ones. I went through this with my old Bravada and could not believe how cheap the brackets were.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know what you have in your area. A few months ago I went to do mine and one pin was frozen beyond my best attempts. NAPA had a rebuilt rear caliper including new sliders, caliper bolts, and the 4 holed attaching bracket for $49. Whatta deal In stock to fix my Sunday afternoon project no less.......

Old 06-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Administrator

I spent $16 for each bracket then another like $10 for the complete pin/boot kit

Old 06-04-2009, 07:55 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

I drilled the pin through the center, got PB blaster behind it, put the fire wrench to it. (a few times) Wasn't budging. Cold chisel on the shoulder of the pin after I'd rounded the corners then snapped it off with vice grips. Nada. (I was into the pure challenge after I knew I could buy another caliper immediately) I drilled the pin completely out but the shoulder was seized to the caliper by a force of nature. Rust - natures LocktiteŽ

Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's has this problem! Thanks for all the responses!

My next challenge... As part of this project, I replaced the dust shields. I never checked the differential fill plug... it looks like it's rusted solid and someone rounded it out.

I love repairs!

Edit: I just ordered the parts from RockAuto. ~$50 for everything with shipping. Not bad for piece of mind!

Quick Reply: Rear brake replacement gone bad...